San Francisco, Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York City, Boulder
Twitter is looking for a Mixed Methods Researcher to be part of our META and Cortex Platform teams that is building the next generation of the Twitter ML Platform, one that is fair and transparent. We’re building an AI-first company and every major initiative is increasingly dependent on the successful application of machine learning - Cortex empowers internal teams at Twitter to efficiently leverage ML by providing a platform and by unifying, educating, and advancing the state of the art in ML technologies within Twitter.
Experience Research is a centralized team that elevates the voices of our users, whether we’re talking to the average Twitter user in Saudi Arabia, an entrepreneur in Nigeria, an advertiser trying to jumpstart a global campaign, or an engineering manager trying to to help her team do their best work at Twitter. We are concerned with connecting the dots between behaviors and perceptions, asking why. We prioritize user health and well-being, while continuously improving and pushing research methodology to the next level.
We believe in the power of bringing diverse perspectives together. We operate at the intersection of machine learning, the social sciences, policy, legal and user research in collaboration with numerous partners from across Twitter. This is an exciting time of change and opportunity as we introduce User Research and Design Thinking best practices to META and Cortex teams, to further engage with and support our user and customer base.
This role is part of the Quantitative Research team, while embedded in and focused on the META and other Cortex Platform teams. You will work with senior leaders to shape our strategy & products for internal developers by actively championing an internal user-centered process that integrates insights and feedback throughout the ML development cycle, and will also act as a partner to the product development team in Cortex, finding creative ways to strengthen the link to the internal customers during the ML development process. You will also develop and maintain a deep understanding of the needs and challenges facing the diverse and global set of developers and data scientists who build on the ML platform today.
Your mission will be to help strengthen the Research practice across the Cortex Platform organization, educating and gaining buy-in for your research, being present and participatory during business discussions and always bringing to light the needs of ML engineers in a way that informs better, more customer-centric decision making.
- You are an experienced researcher with expert understanding of a wide range of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
- You have demonstrated success influencing product, engineering and design decisions based on the results of your research and through the positive relationships you’ve established with your cross-functional partners.
- You are curious and passionate about winning the hearts and minds of your cross-functional partners and stakeholders when it comes to driving action from the insights from your work - you do so by thinking through what questions to ask, where to probe, and how to implement the most effective research strategies.
- You are also a creative problem-solver who has a can-do, make-it-happen, figure-it-out-somehow attitude who seeks to deeply understand the ML problem space so that you can define the most actionable and strategic research plans.
- You thrive in a fast-changing environment and enjoy setting your own research goals, managing load and expectations, and delivering actionable research findings and recommendations.
- True Mixed-Methods Researcher: Strong foundational knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research tools and techniques, and when to use different methods
- Self-directed Problem Solver: Strong project management skills and experience guiding multiple internal and/or outsourced projects simultaneously. Ability to manage through ambiguity. An entrepreneurial mindset and a creative approach to problem-solving and ability to quickly adapt to changing organizational demands and priorities
- Proactive Communicator: The ability to communicate ideas clearly, debate respectfully, and collaborate in everything you create. A great listener who creates an environment where all are comfortable expressing thoughts; and promote timely and ongoing flow of information. A good sense of when to hold your ground and when to adapt your approach or recommendations based on feedback. Storyteller - ability to translate insights into actionable recommendations and implications for the team.
- Build bridges: Ability to build collaborative relationships remotely and cross-functionally to influence strategy and decisions.
- Strong business acumen; an understanding of business goals, strategies and pressures while being aware of industry trends and competitive actions as a context for doing research. A track record of thought leadership and delivering research to inform business, marketing and product development strategies and roadmaps.
- MS or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction with a focus on User Research preferred, related fields such as Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Statistics, or Computer Science
- Experience applying survey methodology (bias correction, sampling and design)
- Fluency with R, SQL (Python a plus!)
- Data visualization (time-series, statistical distributions, maps, hierarchies, networks)
- Experience with Tableau or similar platform a plus
- Experience developing moderators’ guides, running focus groups, conducting in-depth interviews, diary studies
- Experience working with cross-functional teams including Design, Engineering, Legal, Policy, and/or Product partners
- Demonstrated experience and comfort with public speaking
- Strong publication record
- 5+ years conducting user experience research and/or market research is preferred - demonstrated expertise in a relevant field
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.