About The Opportunity
Shutterstock connects diverse artists and creative professionals around the globe with the agencies, brands and people who need their work and services. It’s a place where creators come to be inspired and discover new ways to produce their best work.
We enable our customers, partners, contributors and employees to achieve their goals and realize new opportunities. Our continued growth opens new doors as we scale our platform, expand our offerings and build a company that’s ready for the future!
What We Need
At the heart of the design culture at Shutterstock, we are creatives that take pride in serving creatives. We get to do great user experience work here and believe in a collaborative working style where researchers, designers, product managers, and engineers work together to experiment and riff off each other’s curiosity. Our rapidly growing global team of diverse and talented researchers and designers are made up of fun and caring people who bring unique skill sets, perspectives, and personalities to a product team that respects autonomy and advocates for our customers.
We believe great products are built by deeply understanding our customers— who they are, what motivates them, why they behave the way they do, and what they think of our brand, our products, our services, and the overall market.
We need help dreaming up and building out some really cool products by understanding who our customers are, how they use those products, how to make the experience valuable, and win their hearts and minds. We are looking for a researcher who is strong in evaluative research methods, as well as has some generative research experience. A person who can help us understand if our ideas, concepts, and products in the market are not only usable but also are providing value to our customers. Someone who can also serve as the voice of the customer, act as a customer experience advocate, and help drive understanding and empathy for our customers.
The Day To Day
- Lead evaluative research sessions to validate design concepts or test the usability and satisfaction of prototypes, beta or live solutions (i.e. concept testing, moderated/unmoderated usability testing).
- Assist senior researchers in planning, recruiting, and sometimes running generative research initiatives.
- Synthesizing research findings with product designers and product managers to identify opportunities, patterns, and trends.
- Join workshops where design, product, research, and engineering teams will collaborate to clarify or come up with solutions together.
- Leverage analytics to understand What is happening to inform research work to understand the Why.
- Work with other researchers to maintain our research repository.
- Extensively post GIFs and emojis throughout Slack channels.
What does the first six months look like?
- Take the lead on running evaluative research sessions of our workflow tools.
- Take the lead on running evaluative research sessions of our e-commerce marketplace platform.
- Perform a heuristic evaluation of our current platform, competition, and new solutions.
- Perform a heuristic evaluation of our workflow tools, competition, and new solutions.
- Collaborate with other researchers to document our new research process.
- Coordinate with other research to create a set of templates for planning, recruiting, running, and documenting research sessions.
What You'll Bring To The Role
- You have around 2 years or more of professional experience leading research initiatives across a range of products, services, workflows, and/or tools launched in consumer or business SaaS applications.
- You have around 2 years or more of professional experience running evaluative research initiatives on an e-commerce, marketplace, or similar platform.
- You are a proactive self-starter, comfortable with taking what is ambiguous and making it tangible by leveraging design thinking techniques using research and sense making methods.
- You have a strong portfolio that showcases your work, provides details of your process, explains your role on projects, and shows the impact of your work.
- For the same reason your future co-workers enjoy working at the company!
- The learnings you help bring in will have a profound impact on the user experience that we create. It has a direct impact on product, design, and engineering decisions. You will have room to influence teams across the organization and have an expert voice in product decisions.
- Management and leadership care personally. They prioritize growth and planning your career path with your goals and passions in mind. The team of leaders will help fine tune your presentations and ask the right questions to get feedback that is essential to keeping projects on track. They offer veteran advice and feedback when you could use a little help on that project roadblock.
- We value your ‘Me time.’ We have meeting free Wednesday afternoons and half day summer Fridays. As a design team, we value ‘We time.’ We like to connect, share stories, critique work, vibe off each other, and spend time building relationships.
- Flexibility to work between home and office with everything you need to be successful in both. To help you set up your home office, we'll cover a screen, computer, peripherals, etc.
- Extensive benefits package including a fitness benefit and employee assistance program.
We are one team collectively focused on creating an unrivaled experience for our Customers and Contributors. Our principles represent the mindset of the employee who will thrive at Shutterstock. If you are passionate about what you do, and want to become part of a cutting-edge technology company building industry leading products, please apply.