News Break defines a new way for users to engage with local news. Since its founding in 2015, it has grown by leaps and bounds. We’re the nation's largest intelligent local news platform!
News Break is ranked the #1 news app on both iOS and Android. With 11M+ daily active users and 23M+ monthly users (data source: App Annie), we’re also ahead of all major news apps such as The New York Times, CNN News, The Washington Post, Yahoo News, and SmartNews.
We're a series-C startup headquartered at Mountain View, California.
News Break's mission is to help local news survive and renew, local businesses to grow and prosper, and most importantly local people’s life to be informed and improved that together will foster a unique, healthy and connected local community.
We are looking for ambitious talents who are committed to innovate in product, technology, or business, with the aim of engaging and empowering local media, local businesses, and local users.
The intelligent local information platform we are striving to build, News Break, serves as a perfect liaison among local users, local media and local businesses.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities.
User Experience Researcher (UXRs) in News Break plays a vital role in its principle of truly “user-driven and user-focused product development”. In this role, you will use qualitative and quantitative methods to create understanding and empathy around user needs, stated and unstated, for your entire product team including UI designers, product managers, and engineers. You will do so by conducting primary research, exploring the behaviors and motivations of our users through methods like field visits, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, and logs analysis. Your research will help the team to identify experience problem and articulate it in a laserlike focused way. By working closely with cross functional teams and deeply involved in all stages of product development, you will help us create useful, usable, and delightful new products and features for people as well as continually innovating on our existing products. You will bring inspiration into the team through delivering compelling, written, in-person and visual presentations on your findings, in forms that include but not limited to user persona, segmented persona, user journey map, etc.
• Conduct independent research on multiple aspects of products and experiences.
• Collect and analyze user behavior through field visits, ethnography, surveys, benchmark studies, server logs and online experiments (A/B testing).
• Work with Designers, Product Managers, Engineers and other UXRs to prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
• Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into research.
• Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written reports and in-person presentations.
• Create user personas based on user segmentations.
• Create User Journey Map to help the team understand different mood of the users.
• BA/BS degree in Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors, Psychology, Sociology, or a related field or equivalent experience.
• Experience with research design utilizing various methods including but not limited to usability studies, contextual inquiry, and surveys.
• Relevant product research experience, either in an end-to-end, usability, or generative setting.
• Ability to generate research insights to help product teams make confident decisions, and build empathy and intuition for our users
• Experience to collaborate closely with cross-functional partners including Design, Data Science, Product Management, and Engineering
• Master's degree or PhD in a related field.
• 5 years of relevant work experience within User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, applied research setting, and/or product research and development.
• Experience in a variety of product spaces, applied research and/or academic settings.
• Proficiency in communicating user research findings with cross functional partners to drive impact.
• Strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product development process.
We provide highly competitive compensation package including base salary, bonuses, and stock options. Benefits include great Medical, Dental and Vision. A flat organization and family-like culture makes this a perfect environment to make huge impact on our product and grow your skill set.