HBO Max is the future of entertainment and storytelling.
WarnerMedia’s new streaming entertainment offering, HBO Max is the culmination of some of the most innovative new technology and greatest creative talent in the industry. Anchored by the entire HBO service, arguably the greatest brand in television, HBO Max also features fan favorites from the WarnerMedia library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. HBO Max will also be home to key third-party library acquisitions, such as Friends, South Park and Doctor Who, and more than 50 exclusive Originals in its first year, from the likes of groundbreaking creative talent such as J.J. Abrams, Ridley Scott, Jordan Peele, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann, Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Anna Kendrick, Greg Berlanti, Melissa McCarthy, Robert Zemeckis, Ellen DeGeneres, and other visionaries. HBO Max launches in May 2020.
UX Research is an essential part of the HBO Max product design process ensuring the viewer experience is as rewarding and user-friendly as it is entertaining.
As a Lead UX Researcher for Content Discovery, you will develop and manage a research program for the Content Discovery and Player Experience workstreams equipping product design teams with high impact research from early stage exploratory UX research to later stage usability testing for feature launch. The Lead works closely with teams to apply the findings in ways. The focus for this role is around continuous generation and iteration of new ways for viewers to explore and experience content on HBO Max across all supported devices (TV, phone, tablet, desktop) and platforms.
The Lead is responsible for the design and delivery of highly impactful, robust, and inclusive research practices and the generation of insights which serve our viewers and promote listening to diverse perspectives among our teams.
The Lead is a member of the UX Research team and collaborates with peers to inform overall research priorities, establish best practices, develop operational processes, provide coaching managing and training to team members.
- Create and manage a research program for Content Discovery and bring a user-centered design approach to the strategy and design of the HBO Max explore and play experience.
- Collaborate with designers, project managers, and engineers to identify research roadmap activities to support product feature releases and future concepts for exploration.
- Lead team innovation sprints and incorporate user centered design activities throughout the product design process.
- Plan and conduct all research including, project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication.
- Conduct feature prioritization and benchmarking studies to identify user needs and evaluate success of HBO Max.
- Plan and conduct research within an Agile framework including, project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication. Depending on the scope and complexity of research, you may plan and execute studies as a sole researcher or you may lead and manage a small team to perform the work.
- Depending on the scope and complexity of research, you may plan and execute studies as a sole researcher or you may lead and manage a small team to perform the work.
- Initiate and oversee the execution of each research effort. Work with a cross-functional team to prioritize areas of focus for research.
- Consult on human factors, UCD best practices, and recommend research activities.
- Manage, supervise, and support junior to senior UX Researchers.
- Vet, hire, and manage outside vendors as needed to support the work.
- Help grow the UXR team's expertise, explore new ways to discover user insights, acquire new tools and resources for the lab, and help teams understand and apply best practices.
- Experience as a Lead or Senior UX Researcher, with 5+ years working in UX Research
- Experience working on interdisciplinary product development teams with large stakeholder groups
- Experience Managing Junior, Mid, and/or Senior-Level UX Researchers
- Experience working on digital media and entertainment experiences involving content search, browse, and play
- Experience testing TV consoles and remotes, gaming consoles and remotes, phone, tablet, desktop, and voice.
- Project scoping, budgeting, scheduling and resource management of multiple simultaneous user research efforts.
- Expert in experimental design for Qualitative Research, User-Centered Design Methodology, data analysis, and reporting and communicating results.
- Expert in study session moderation/facilitation for in-depth-interviews, cognitive walkthroughs, usability studies, and contextual inquiry.
- Strong command of a broad set of Qualitative and Quantitative User Research Methods with the ability to discern and recommend the right method(s) for a project.
- Demonstrated ability to define and implement Agile UX Research Practices.
- Strong client-management skills; ability to adapt to a variety of individual styles and approaches in order to deliver the appropriate insights and support each requires
- Graduate degree in Engineering Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or a closely related field.