Do you want to change the world? Do you want to help fix healthcare? Do you want your work to have a real, measurable impact on the lives of millions of people around the world every day?
Nuance, the pioneer and leader in conversational AI, is looking for a flexible and experienced Principal UX Researcher to execute research that informs the design for the Precision Imaging Network (PIN), an integrated AI platform that delivers real‑time clinical intelligence to multiple imaging stakeholders. Drive continuous product innovation as you work in tight collaboration with Nuance’s expert product teams to expose key unmet clinical needs, and help define the solution-to-problem alignments that inform priorities for future growth and investment. With Microsoft’s recent acquisition of Nuance, the opportunities to leverage our leading AI and voice technologies to significantly transform physician workflows has reached an entirely new level.
The Principal, UX Research will focus on product discovery and concept design in collaboration with Product Management colleagues, and a multi-disciplinary team of experts at Nuance, including customer success, support, engineering and more. Success in this role will require resourcefulness, and an analytical, organized approach to all problem solving, coupled with an ability to influence and successfully navigate through interpersonal dynamics. To establish an intimate understanding of user needs and pain-points, the Principal, UX Research will spend considerable time on the frontlines with clinicians and healthcare providers, observing and analyzing clinical image-sharing workflows that leverage our Diagnostic portfolio of products and ambient, AI-driven services.
- 8+ years’ experience across all phases of the product design lifecycle, researching and developing complex workflow applications utilizing design thinking, solution prototyping and design skills, usability feedback and testing cycles
- Patience, a calm demeanor, and a sense of humor.
- Excellent arbitration skills.
- Confident presentation, communication and facilitation skills with a mastery of user experience principles, and ability to effectively represent them.
- Demonstrated experience with:
- The definition and leadership of design discovery initiatives, as well as iterative user feedback programs within product development cycles.
- The creation of UX artifacts serving the entirety of the software development lifecycle, including but not limited to user personas, JTBD frameworks, user journey maps, workflow diagrams, information architecture schemas, wireframes, service blueprints and finished UI designs.
- User requirements gathering activities including business analysis, task analysis, design sprints and user interviews.
- Informing the creation of functional prototypes for user testing and feedback.
- UX research tools including Dovetail, Research Hub and Qualtrics, familiarity with UX and UI design tools including Figma and Miro.
- Designing consistent user experiences across different user interaction and device contexts (e.g. conversational input vs. GUI, mobile vs. desktop, tablet).
- Development of UX KPI metrics to measure success in product improvements.
- An eye for detail and consistency, especially regarding usability and interaction design.
- Maintain clear priorities and work efficiently within a fluid, agile product development ecosystem.
- Regularly communicate upward and outward on program progress.
- Understanding of HIPAA compliance and securing patient health information.
- Education: BS or higher (MS preferred) in User Experience Design, Interaction Design, HCI or a UX design-related field or equivalent experience.
- Healthcare product delivery and/or clinical documentation experience
- Research planning, facilitation, analysis, and synthesis methodologies
- An understanding of mobile first and responsive UI design
- Mentoring and/or managing junior UX team members
We Are Known For
- #1 Solutions Provider by Black Book Market Research
- Earning Boston Business Journal’s “Best Places to Work” and The Boston Globe’s “Top Places to Work” recognition, including for Best Perks, Benefits and Pay.
- Being a world-class team with an open mind for innovative ideas.
- Join the Nuance + Microsoft team and help revolutionize how doctors practice medicine!
#IN-RS1Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.Nuance celebrates diversity and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action workplace. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, military and veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other category protected by law or Nuance policy. If you need an accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 and let us know.