Do you want to be at the heart of Microsoft’s massive digital and cultural transformation? Are you a diehard UXer who thrives on tackling tough challenges? Are you passionate about people and want to work in a vibrant Studio where Research and Design work closely together? Then check us out!
Core Services Engineering & Operations (CSEO) builds the products and services that Microsoft runs on and our CSEO Studio team is playing a critical role by bringing together expertise in research, design, and accessibility to create experiences that empower our fellow employees around the globe to achieve more in their lives. Together with our partners, we are raising the bar of user experience so we can all make a difference at Microsoft.
We are seeking a Senior User Researcher who will play a critical role in driving product decisions and formulate the North Star vision for the Smart Campus team by delivering creative, agile, and strategic research outcomes that directly impact the business. You will have a deep focus on identifying real problems to solve and uncovering unmet needs that will inform the company’s strategy for reimagining the employee experience. You will manage stakeholder relationships and instill in them an understanding of the highest value of research. In this role, you will become a trusted, strategic partner to product stakeholders by delivering actionable insights that help define the modern workplace at Microsoft. This includes:
- Influential Senior UX researcher who has a breadth of product making experience to draw upon as you provide research expertise to your project space
- Balance both agile and strategic research methods on a daily basisto influence product direction, and overall user experience
- Develop and deliver user research plansand strategies, prioritizing research needs and creating clarity in ambiguous spaces
- Design and execute promptly on a cohesive and focused research plan for a critical area, establishing user experience goals and metrics as a guidepostfor the team to strive towards
- Deep analytical and synthesis skills (both qualitative and quantitative) with a proven ability to turn research results into product insights
- Build strong trust-based relationships with stakeholders to communicate the highest value of Research and drive the North Star goals
- Work closely with multiple disciplines (especially Design and PM) on aligned goals and influence business stakeholders
- Partnerwith other researchers on the team and across Microsoft to leverage insights or execute projects that impact multiple groups of stakeholders
- Design and conduct foundational research to understand customer needs, pain points, and unmet needs, and evaluate user experience concepts, prototypes, and experiences to influence your program area.
- Bring insights to life to inspire our Design and Engineering organizations to focus on the right problems to solve
- Employ both qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and be able to make smart choices on best research technique to use based on business goals and timelines
- Drive multiple projects simultaneously, bring creativity to your research approach, and be agile/scrappy when needed
- Produce impactful artifacts generated from research findings which are visually rich and bring clarity to the space being studied
- Own the customer findings in your areas of coverage and evangelize the customer to design and engineering teams
- Develop research plans for your assigned areas, and build consensus with team members
- Drive product decisions and design directions by being part of the decision-making process
- Min of 6-7 years working in a UX research role on a product team
- Proven track record of leadership and leading product discussions with minimal supervision
- Ability to work with minimal supervision to translate ambiguity into opportunities
- Experience performing research in Design Sprints, Agile Development models and running large projects/programs which span multiple months
- Well established portfolio of research techniques from ethnography, field studies, interviews, usability studies, concept validation, A/B testing, user journey mapping, surveys, scorecards and competitive analysis.
- Deep analytical and synthesis skills (both qualitative and quantitative) with a proven ability to turn research results into actionable product insights
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and strong attention to visual details
- A minimum of Master’sdegree in HCI, ethnography, cognitive or experimental psychology, sociology, or human factors OR a BA/BS in one of the above fields with significant academic or industry experience
- Added bonus would be experience working in the areas of enterprise collaboration, employee experience, and physical spaces
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.