If you're passionate about helping a Fortune 100 company drive their strategy forward through innovative product development and advancing strategic partnerships to protect customers (and their pets), then Nationwide's Strategy and Corporate Development Office might be the place for you!
Do you shine in at least one core user experience (UX) competency? We have a passion for creating exceptional experiences that have a real impact on people’s live and futures. If you understand the value UX provides in achieving strategic objectives and can articulate that value to cross-functional teams and business partners, we want to know more about you!
As a Senior Consultant in the User Experience organization, you’ll be viewed as an expert with the ability to drive the delivery of outstanding customer experiences. In addition to expertise in one core UX strength (experience strategy, research, information architecture, interaction design, interface design, front-end development, content strategy or design operations), you’ll need to demonstrate a thorough grasp of a couple others. It'll be important to have a deep understanding of the design process and an ability to work in ambiguous discovery phase of identifying the right problem to tackle and the detail delivering desirable products. You’ll also have opportunities to lead project teams to distill complex problems into clear solutions that exemplify standard methodologies and encourage others. You’ll need to be adept at articulating and defending design decisions in a way that can be understood.
1. Consults and collaborates with stakeholders, product managers, technologists, UX peers and others across the company to provide strategic, creative and technical direction.
2. Advocates for empathetic, human-centered design. Helps mitigate risk by pursuing work based on insights and an understanding of our users.
3. Problem solves, thinks big, and explores divergent ideas while understanding how to converge and build iteratively towards the best solution.
4. Designs and recommends innovative solutions that balance customer needs with business viability and technical feasibility.
5. Participates in and facilitates idea-generating sessions evaluating those ideas with regards to technical feasibility, business viability and human desirability.
6. Able to think strategically and connect your work to a larger picture. Helps everyone consider the end-to-end experience and connect the dots.
7. Mentors and guides the team in their craft and profession to continually uplift the quality of our work.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Manager/Director. May have opportunity to manage a team based on organizational structure. May also have opportunity to lead matrixed and virtual/project teams.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Undergraduate degree in UX, human-computer interaction, psychology, graphic design, information science, communications or related field preferred.
Experience: Typically, eight or more years professionally practicing some aspect of human-centered design.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Comfortable speaking publically to large groups and explaining design rationale to other parts of the business. Ability to navigate multiple partner groups, tell compelling narratives and influence others. Owns work with minimal oversight. Very independent and self-motivated. Can provide leadership for all aspects of the design process, as well as areas outside field of expertise.
Skills/Competencies: Excellent communications skills (written and verbal). Clear user experience design focus; proven familiarity with emerging technologies and the ability to integrate new technologies to user experience designs. Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team. Proven project management skills; ability to perform well on multiple concurrent projects and meet timelines. Strong research, analytical, and troubleshooting skills.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and Human Resources Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Overtime Eligibility: Exempt (Not Eligible)
Working Conditions: Normal Office Environment. Extended work hours may be necessary during heavier volume work periods. Travel required as necessary.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.