Kohl’s is growing its User Experience Research team! We’re looking for an experienced researcher to lead the planning and conducting of both quantitative and qualitative studies. You would want to work in and actively advance a user-centered and collaborative culture, as well as continually mature the User Experience Research practice.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Senior User Experience Researcher, you would craft and conduct user research that guides our colleagues, partners, and leaders in making value-based and evidence-led experience design and product decisions. You would identify research objectives that align to business goals, plan optimal research approaches, recruit study participants/respondents, craft study materials (test scripts, discussion guides, questionnaires, etc.), execute studies, analyze and model raw data, and synthesize that data into actionable insights. You would lead these efforts independently or in tandem with other researchers, often partnered with Product/User Experience Designers, who would all be learning and growing their research skills through your example and coaching.
This role is Remote. There is occasional need to conduct research in person (e.g., in a store, in a lab, etc.).
YOUR PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Refine, educate on, and continually promote user-centered processes and the adherence to experience design and research best practices
- Identify, roadmap, and engage in research efforts that support Kohl’s overarching User Experience and enterprise objectives, goals, and strategies
- Lead teams through the planning and estimation of research efforts, identifying the most appropriate, efficient, and cost-effective methods for the specific research objectives and timeline at hand
- Lead teams through developing approaches to uncover user needs, motivators, expectations, and friction points to identify problem-solving and value-add opportunities (via contextual inquiry, user interviews, workshops, surveys, etc.)
- Mine analytics, clickstream, and customer contact data to identify usage patterns and experience issues; triangulate data across myriad company sources
- Lead teams through conducting iterative evaluations of experience designs (via concept and usability testing, heuristic evaluation, etc.)
- Conduct data analyses (knowledge of basic statistics required) and distill into key, relevant findings and recommendations
- Tell the story of what was learned from the users’ perspectives, through documentation and presentation, to build empathy and influence positive change to their experiences
- Lead the tracking and communication of collective progress toward Digital User Experience goal achievement, from the customer point of view, via ongoing User Experience benchmarking and journey mapping
- Identify, share, and define improvements to User Experience Research team processes, guidelines, templates, and knowledge repositories
We have a supportive and collaborative team culture in which we continually help each other as researchers (as well as Product/User Experience Designers doing research) to plan and execute studies to ensure we consistently deliver high-quality, well-thought-out research and are collectively maturing our skills. We perform the full breadth of qualitative and quantitative user research methods, so there is ample learning and growth opportunity. This work is supported by a state-of-the-art in-house lab, including eye-tracking technology, and the use of industry-leading prototyping and remote online testing tools. Our research encompasses both online and in-store experiences, so there’s a great variety in the environments/contexts in which we learn about our users.
- Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Information Studies, Interaction or User Experience Design, Psychology or other related field
- 4+ years of work experience in user experience research or a similar role
- Experience working in a corporate, retail, digital, and/or design research environments
- Experience leading research efforts
- Experience partnering on research with Product teams within an agile or lean product development environment
- Mastery of User Experience design standards and user-centered best practices
- Expertise in most of the following research methods: User and Stakeholder Interviews, Contextual Inquiry, Ethnography, Task Analysis, Personas, Jobs to Be Done, Journey Mapping, Heuristic Evaluation, Eye Tracking, Competitive Analysis, Surveys, Diary Studies, Workshops, Participatory Design, Card Sorting, Tree Testing, A/B or Multivariate Testing, Click Testing, Usability and Concept Testing, User Experience Benchmarking
- Experience using online collaboration, research, and analysis tools such as Asana, Miro, Qualtrics, User Zoom, dScout, Tobii Eye Tracking, or similar
- You effectively manage yourself and priorities; hold self accountable
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills; can convey complex information in simple terms
- You collaborate well with others; are dependable and inspire trust
- You have a positive demeanor; motivate yourself and others
- You model professionalism and emotional intelligence
- You adapt with ease and are open to new learnings and differing ways; value diverse perspectives
- You contribute new ideas and identify emergent opportunities to improve the organization, its processes, and our users’ experiences in measurable ways
- Master’s degree or higher in Anthropology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Information Studies, Interaction or User Experience Design, Psychology or other related field
- Experience using design tools such as Figma or similar