We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.
To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
At Babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare. We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us.
We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
User Research champions the human-centred exploration of complex problems using evidence, data and insight to help us make better decisions. We are looking for an experienced Senior User Researcher who wants to join our Self Care Super Tribe. The Self Care tribe’s mission is to empower and educate our patients to self-manage their health. the Self Care tribe design and deliver products and tools for both patients and clinicians.
Day to day you’ll be the User Research contact for the Triage team but you would be involved in research across the whole ‘Self Care’ space.
You will be expected:
- Work with design, product, delivery and technology team mates to deliver the right high quality experiences for Babylon’s users - both patients and clinicians.
- Deliver high quality generative research that helps us understand what problems we’re trying to solve.
- Evaluate the solutions we’re building and deliver actionable insights that help us improve the experience.
- You’ll be the day to day point of contact for the Triage team, who build our symptom checker tool that enables users to get information regarding the symptoms they might be experiencing and advice on what to do about them.
- You will support the work of multiple squads according to key priorities running strategic and tactical User Research projects with your cross-functional peers.
- You will manage your own time based on having an in depth understanding of the strategic and commercial priorities of the tribe and business and knowing how your work ladders up into this - you will prioritise based on what work will bring the biggest benefits and you will be able to succinctly and accurately explain this and your decisions to your team so that they understand the context for their work.
- You will run your own user research and/or collaborate with the designers in the team, but also have the skills and passion to proactively support other team members to do research as and when needed.
- Partner with designers in the team to craft and validate personas, scenarios, and jobs to be done for your area of the product
- Collaborate on user journey and service maps illustrating user needs, pain points, and business opportunities as we evolve our products to support Babylon’s data needs across the organisation.
- Help build a strong researcher and learner-mindset culture by sharing your experiences with the research chapter, being an evangelist for user-centric approaches in the broader organisation, and actively participating in the XD community.
- Flexibly and accurately deploying a number of research methods to understand different user groups.
- Executing a collaborative research process end-to-end including participant recruitment, creating prototypes and stimuli, and turning insights into actions for product development.
- Creating compelling and actionable research deliverables and insights which inspire empathy and drive both pragmatic and innovative solutions.
- Understanding and taking into account technical and business requirements when running research, including helping articulate how research is prioritised by the team.
- Analysing and integrating app analytics, surveys, market research and other quantitative research data as relevant.
- Actively shaping how we work together and build products.
- Facilitating brainstorming and working sessions with cross-disciplinary teams.
Key Skills Required:
- You’re a detail-oriented and effective practitioner that consistently delivers high quality outputs and engaging insights.
- Able to communicate research effectively, regardless of audience.
- Passionate about bringing the lens of data and research to the product development process.
- Experience designing research projects for complex software apps or AI products and working with highly technical stakeholders such as engineers and AI researchers.
- Experience working in an agile, ‘agency style’ or product development settings, particularly in fast, changing environments, with an ability to quickly absorb new knowledge in new technical domains.
- Experience interpreting user and business needs into actionable outcomes.
- Ability to clarify success metrics, and tie efforts toward delivering user and business value. Taking initiative to make decisions with the appropriate level of risk and impact.
- Comfortable with the ambiguity and uncertainty that are an integral part of working with AI powered products
- You have a passion to build a product that serves humanity
- You are compassionate and caring towards others. You respect the views and ideas of others;
- You work in a straight-forward, collaborative and inclusive way and is non-political;
- You are tenacious, in the pursuit to delight our users. You strive for excellence in all you do and always look to improve our service and product;
- You regularly seek to turn ideas into action and inject creativity into every touch point. You question common practice to challenge the norm;
- Frequently has a can-do attitude and a positive viewpoint;
- Takes ownership and always delivers against what is agreed.
- You are experienced in the execution of multiple mixed-method research approaches. On top of your strong general toolkit, you also have deep specialisation in a few key methods or areas which make you a go-to person in the team
- You have demonstrable experience of a wide range of evaluative research methods and techniques.
- You have led generative or discovery projects for a product or an entire service.
- You have a wide-reaching understanding of frameworks and psychological principles that you are confident in applying.
- You’re a Mixed Methods researcher with strong quantitative research skills.
- You confidently integrate quantitative data with qualitative user research to provide a joined up narrative.
- You proactively and confidently take the lead in syncing up insights across a product area, participating in processes and rituals that help break down silos and socialise cross-functional insights.
- You take responsibility for sharing insights and creating a strong narrative that ensures people understand what they are building, why, and what impact it will have.
Research Leadership Skills:
- As well as your craft skills, you are beginning to hone your leadership skills and scale your impact through advising, guiding and reviewing the work of others
- You are able to establish rapport with a wide variety of colleagues and are an eager advocate of User Research.
- You love giving and receiving honest, thoughtful feedback.
- You support our team culture of openness and transparency where people feel safe and able to do their best work.
- You connect your team’s efforts with a deep understanding of the wider ecosystem around you, working closely with the other researchers in your tribe and cross-functional teams to inform a seamless and human-centred experience.
- You have the confidence to say no to work that you feel compromises ethics or quality, escalating concerns on behalf of yourself and your team where appropriate.
- You support tribe leadership in shaping the future of the product by taking research and turning it into valuable insights that power their decision making.
- You have at least four years' experience leading User Research to aid product development in fast-paced agile cross-functional teams, particularly for software tools, responsive web or native apps.
- You’ve been working in an in-house, agency or consultancy role, leading the delivery of end-to-end human-centred research that directly supports shipped products, capacity-building programmes or strategic initiatives.
- You will have a degree in a related field (for example Human/Computer Interaction, UX Research, Psychology, Social Science, Anthropology).
- Experience working on complex software apps/products for specialist users
- Experience working with products that are powered by artificial intelligence and/or machine learning
- Experience working in Healthcare, with an understanding of healthcare and/or data regulations
- You have experience evangelising User Research within a growing organisation.