About the job
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects. I. Job Summary
The Senior Researcher collaborate with Engineers, Designers and Content Creators to connect the dots between customer insights and digital experiences.
This role is responsible for conceiving and conducting multi-method user research initiatives, working in tandem with UX and UI designers. II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Advocates for the customer and user; take initiative in identifying UX gaps throughout WM’s digital experiences and work with product teams to prioritize improvements
- Conducts generative research that informs WM’s digital product strategy including but not limited to field work, interviews, surveys, heuristic evaluations, and A/B tests/experiments
- Collaborates with other researchers on research methods and priorities
- Leads testing efforts on products throughout their lifecycle such as usability testing, 1:1 interview, group interviews, and surveys
- Works closely with partner teams (product design, engineering, product management, analytics) to understand their goals and devise methods to integrate various customer insights throughout product development lifecycles
- Synthesizes design research and user insights in a compelling, creative, and actionable way for audiences ranging from fellow design teams to C-level executives
- Asks smart questions, takes risks and champions new ideas; thrives in a fast-paced, hands-on environment
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
No direct supervisory duties, but at times may be in a position to influence or provide feedback and direction to various colleagues and stakeholders. IV. Qualifications
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job. A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (accredited) in the field of Interaction Design, Information Design, Interface Design, Human-Computer Interaction or a similar area of study, or in lieu of degree High School diploma or GED (accredited) and four (4) years of relevant experience.
- Experience: Five (5) years of design research and UX design experience (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- A solid grasp of user-centered design (UCD)
- Ability to plan and conduct user research, including but not limited to user testing, A/B testing, rapid prototyping, heuristic analysis, usability and accessibility evaluations
- Expertise in standard UX software such as Sketch, Adobe XD, Axure, InVision, etc.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate design processes, ideas, and solutions to teams and stakeholders.
- Excitement about collaborating and communicating closely with teams and other stakeholders via a distributed model
- Passionate about resolving user pain points through elegant design
- Open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism
- Enthusiasm for all things UX and other areas of design and innovation
- Research and showcase knowledge in the industry’s latest trends and technologies
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site. If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.
Flexible Work Location Acceptable
Yes, 10 % of the Time