About the job
Want to inspire the thinkers and doers of tomorrow?
HMH is a learning company and we design and build our educational learning platform ("Ed Learning"), to make a positive, lifelong impact to millions of students and teachers lives.
The UX Team at HMHCO is part of Digital Product Design and focuses on building an intuitive digital experience for teachers, students and administrators in and out of the classroom. We work to simplify and delight teachers and administrators while helping students to achieve success with the HMHCO product lines.
We are seeking an exceptional User Experience Researcher to join our awesome UX team and help us understand, craft and carry out studies that highlight solutions for product development and emerging technologies. You will work closely with interaction designers, visual designers, copywriters, product managers and engineering teams to support the user experience for the HMH product platforms and applications, including mobile, web, and desktop clients.
Our users, work with digital video in media and enterprise contexts. Candidates will develop a deep understanding of the end-to-end user experience and will work with product and design teams to ensure that our products are effective, engaging, and easy to use. This role requires skills in interviewing, usability testing, and survey design, from recruiting and planning through facilitation and data analysis. At the senior level, we are looking for additional expertise with research methods such as ethnography, card sorting, collaging, etc.
- Identify research needs by working closely with Stakeholders, PM, and UX Design teams.
- Create comprehensive research plans, using the most appropriate research methods
- Uses methodology techniques and products to develop a test strategy and plan, defin.e type/category/scope, execute test cases, and analyze results.
- Own the entire research process from start to finish including, defining, recruiting, scheduling, moderating, synthesizing, reporting and presenting reports.
- Be a strong advocate for the user – evangelize user-centered design practices and the importance of usability within the development groups and other cross-functional organizations.
- Collaborate with design, product and engineering teams to scope studies, build team empathy, and communicate findings, outputs may include personas and user journeys.
- Prepare, conduct, and validate working hypothesis’ with customers through usability research of wireframes, clickable prototypes and published product, and participate in design critique.
- Make recommendations about the most suitable study design and participant pool based on study goals, combining research techniques or creating innovative approaches as needed.
- Create facilitators' guides and interview protocols.
- Create and execute unmoderated usability studies on SaaS tools (usertesting.com/userzoom et…).
- Analyze and synthesize qualitative and quantitative data from user research studies.
- Apply appropriate statistical methods when analyzing and reporting quantitative data.
- Create presentations and reports to communicate findings and recommendations to product teams and senior leadership.
- Prioritize recommendations and follow through to ensure they are implemented.
- Mentor and teach product and UX colleagues how to conduct effective research.
- Create and communicate resources, tools, and best practices to advance our UX research program.
- 5+ years of experience conducting UX Research for product and design teams.
- Degree in design, HCI, Psychology, Anthropology, Cognitive Science, Human Factors or related field.
- Broad Experience designing both qualitative and quantitative research studies, analyzing results and creating reports with actionable product and design insights.
- Skilled in the ability to articulate study and UX research methodologies to stakeholders and senior leadership.
- Previous experience working with Product Management, Design, and Engineering leads.
- Obsessive attention to detail, and the ability to advance multiple projects with competing deadlines across the finish line.
- Demonstrated understanding of UI complexities such as cross-browser requirements and UCD Heuristics.
- Experience working in Agile development teams and with other development methodologies.
- Exceptional communication skills with a special focus on creative ways to tell the story of research projects in a memorable, engaging style, must be comfortable presenting work to Sr. Management.
- Deep understanding of research methods and how to apply them to business objectives to collect statistically valuable insights.
Ready to help little learners dream big?
Hit apply and let’s talk!