You didn’t get into UX to make e-commerce sites better, you did it to make an impact on humanity. Now’s your chance to do that.
We automate labs in Life Sciences. We enable scientists to do more of the work that matters. Our impact means drugs coming to market years earlier, diagnostic testing at speeds never before imagined. And we’ve just raised $50 million in series B funding to match our ambitions.
This role is an exciting opportunity to become involved in a technological advancement that is benefitting thousands around the world, with this number growing.
About the role
As the first UX researcher at Automata, you’ll live, breathe, and advocate for user experience research across Automata and provide insights to help the team make more informed decisions. You will become an expert in understanding how scientists plan and conduct experiments within varying types of labs, and join the Design team responsible for shaping how users interact with and benefit from our lab automation platform. You will work closely with the product, engineering, commercial and growth teams to provide perspective and uncover blockers and drivers towards adopting lab automation. We believe that scientists are at the heart of our product and research plays a critical role in helping build delightful experiences that address their needs.
Flexible working available for this role if you can be in the office for at least 2 days a week and whenever necessary.
Why is this role important for Automata?
As the first UX Researcher in our team, you’ll be the leading voice of the customer within our organisation. Your work will directly shape product requirements, our product positioning and the continued evolution of our product suite as you help the team to better understand and analyse the motivations, needs, and behaviours of scientists worldwide.
- Define, plan, and conduct exploratory user research and usability evaluations (including supporting the work of less experienced colleagues).
- Develop and innovate on our mixed-methods user research practice.
- Instill best practices, evangelise our work, and influence how user research is executed within the wider Insights community at Automata (including product management, commercials + growth teams).
- Apply rigorous analysis to understand and document complex workflows and processes.
- Deliver compelling insights, stories and artefacts to help drive evidence-based product and design decisions, and the evolution of the product roadmap.
- Gain a deep understanding of how products and platforms influence both end user and internal user behaviours. Exercise your thought leadership and become a go-to specialist for user insights regarding the Automata product.
- Education background that incorporates research methods - such as a degree in Anthropology, Human factors, Human Computer Interaction, Psychology, Social Science, or similar industry experience.
- A history of close collaboration with partners in product, tech, business and design from ideation through implementation.
- Have proven experience in user research, with significant expertise in either exploratory qualitative research to identify needs and problems or workflow and task analysis (or both!).
- Comfortable with planning, prioritising, conducting, analysing and communicating research in a variety of contexts.
- A dedicated advocate of a user-centred, evidence-based approach to product development, while balancing business needs.
- Comfortable working with ambiguous and unstructured questions, breaking them down into relevant and concrete research work streams.
- Experience in implementing and/or developing user research operations and frameworks in organisations.
- IOT or experience conducting research around hardware & digital software products.
- Experience in a relevant sector (life science, clinical studies, healthcare, etc.)
More reasons to apply
- Learning & Development 🎓 £1,000 per year to spend as you wish
- Holiday 🏖️ 25 days per year (PLUS we close the office between Christmas and New Year)
- Private Healthcare ❤️ Vitality Health is available to all of our permanent employees
- Flexible working 🤹 Blended approach to office and WFH
- Employee referrals 💰 £1,000 per referral hired from your network
- Share Options Scheme 📈 Every team member gets a pot of stock option after probation
- Keeping you fed 🥙 Our kitchen is always stocked and we order lunch in on Fridays
- Dog-friendly offices 🐶 Lola, Evie and Alfie are the current resident pooches