Disney Streaming Services Design is a growing practice of multi-disciplinary creators and storytellers. We are passionate about building best-in-class products around exclusive content for a global audience. We live in the space where art and science meet, connecting data, technology and human-centric design principles to craft a compelling end-to-end experience. We believe in researching customer needs, innovating through technology, delivering at the highest standard of craft and positioning, cultivating a culture of collaboration, embracing challenges, promoting transparency, and celebrating wins, but never settling.
Sr UX Researcher - Inclusive Design, Disney Streaming Services
Disney Streaming Services brings our beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events directly to people on their own terms. User experience research is a critical part of understanding how our viewers want to connect with those stories and the people with whom they experience those stories. Disney Streaming is building an Inclusive Design team that aims to recognize the diverse needs of our viewers and bring underinvested communities to the forefront of our design process.
As a Senior UX Researcher for Inclusive Design at Disney Streaming Services, you will work on products used by millions of Disney+ customers each year across the world. As a user advocate, you will play a critical role in guiding and influencing the short and long-term product strategy through the lens of product inclusion. You have a deep passion for uncovering user needs and jobs that center the perspectives of underinvested communities and use them to create user empathy within the organization. As a Sr. Researcher you are comfortable defining and conducting rigorous research efforts that translate into impactful insights and strategic solutions for the organization. Working within a product design organization you will determine the best approach for translating research findings into actionable outputs.
Our ideal researcher will...
- Collaborate with Design & Product teams to be the tip of the spear in understanding and quantifying the behavior, needs and goals of our viewers, specifically uplifting voices from underinvested communities.
- Design and execute a wide variety of research projects ranging from early discovery and ideation to design validation.
- Generate insights, recommendations and presentations to influence and inspire product decisions and designs.
- Work with other researchers to create strategic customer frameworks curated from individual research projects.
- Mentor colleagues across the company in conducting effective & inclusive user research, from guerrilla to formalized.
- Pioneer, perfect and codify the use of innovative & inclusive new research methods for the team.
- Design engaging workshops with internal teams to create cross-functional alignment and ideate solutions based on known user needs.
- Lead co-creation workshops and co-creative conversations with users to further develop future concepts and solutions.
- Develop impactful presentation decks that help visualize user stories while increasing inclusive research understanding (and impact) within the organization.
- Build trust and effective relationships with cross-functional teams.
- Spearhead inclusive design practices through developing curriculum, leading workshops, and teaching classes across the design and product teams.
- Contribute to establishing the Inclusive Design team at Disney Streaming and cultivate an internal culture of product inclusion.
Our ideal researcher is…
- An expert in a wide range of strategic and generative design research methods, including but not limited to ethnographic field studies, contextual inquiries, diary studies, survey design, qualitative and quantitative concept testing, card sorting, A/B testing, usability, benchmarking, competitive analysis, etc.
- An expert in participatory design & research methods, including co-design and trauma-informed design
- Strong knowledge and expertise in Design Thinking practices, processes and frameworks.
- Experience teaching Design Thinking workshops and crash courses.
- A leader in inclusive design practices and advocate for embedded DEI in product.
- Adept at creating compelling mixed methods frameworks that describe qualitative and quantitative research findings.
- Passionate about your craft and adopting (where it makes sense) industry innovations.
- An excellent storyteller who drives impact by clearly communicating research findings, insights, recommendations and methodology.
- A collaborator and partner with peers in product, design and engineering, but also a leader - adept at driving the right research at the right time and ensuring our product design process results in the right product & product experience for all our viewers.
- Self motivated, can work independently in defining their process and delivery milestones.
Our ideal researcher has...
- 4+ years experience in applied product/design research, or equivalent education.
- You have a demonstrable track record of a variety of generative and/or evaluative research methods.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Human Factors, HCI, Psychology, Sociology, Cognitive Science, Research & Strategy, Anthropology or related field. Ph.D. or Master’s degree a plus
- Proven success communicating research findings and insights effectively to peers, managers, directors and above to drive consensus, alignment and strategy..
- Experience building products for diverse audiences, specifically conducting research with people from underinvested communities and/or people with accessibility needs.
- Experience conducting global and culturally aware design research.
- A background in education, with experience designing, developing, and teaching design thinking curriculum across cross-functional teams.