We are looking to hire a Senior User Experience Researcher to help us answer foundational questions about our learners, around the world. This role will focus largely on defining global product strategy for the company and our core Duolingo learning app. We’re searching for an empathetic sage who will advocate for our learners’ most important needs, while helping us identify new opportunities to increase the efficacy of Duolingo for our learners.
- Identify and define impactful research opportunities working with product managers, UX designers, engineers, learning scientists, and executive leaders
- Design and conduct foundational and evaluative research to guide executive decision-making
- Glean insights that are actionable and valuable to company leadership and product teams
- Work with PMs and designers to run usability studies of new designs and features
- Craft compelling narratives about our users’ needs, attitudes, aspirations, expectations, obstacles, and motivations
- Mixed-method, collaborative research experience. Hands-on experience with the nuances of multi-method projects—the ability to choose the right method to answer the appropriate user and business questions. Deep appreciation for the role research can play in a cross-functional product team with product managers, designers, engineers, and data scientists.
- Strong communication skills. A knack for getting to the heart of the matter, telling stories and being convincing—making the opaque feel obvious in hindsight. Ability to ask, as well as answer, meaningful and impactful research questions.
- Leadership. The proven ability to lead others through difficult problem solving and project pivots. Fostering a sense of collaboration and showcasing thought leadership appropriate for the given situation.
- 3+ years of experience successfully leading user research projects, ideally at a consumer-focused product company
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Education, Statistics, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field
- Expertise in a variety of qualitative research methods and frameworks, such as user interviews, ethnographies, contextual inquiries, diary studies, personas, user journeys, card sorting, and usability studies
- Comfort with quantitative research methods, including surveys and statistical analysis
- Ability to work full-time from or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Advanced degree in Anthropology, Statistics, Design-Research, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field
- Experience thriving in a startup environment
- Experience working with consumer products for gaming or education
- Knowledge of SQL