We are the doers. The leaders. The makers. The change-bringers. We are all different, uniting to solve the world’s toughest challenges. Our teams are hungry to make history, acting with integrity to relentlessly improve people’s lives. With every weld, every sale, and every code we write we keep the world in motion. It’s time to stop dreaming about the future; let’s build it together.
As a Staff UX Researcher, you will contribute to the understanding of our customers and the users of our products. You understand and champion the importance of research to the design process and act as an active member of the user experience team. As a UX Researcher you will execute on multiple small to medium sized projects as an individual contributor with a focus on user research
Essential Responsibilities :
In this role, you will:
- Provide leadership, research guidance and mentorship to team members; provide coaching on feedback gathering techniques.
- Frame, scope, and lead execution of design research projects
- Lead constructive design critiques
- Propose design or product solutions based on research and synthesis outcomes; influence change
- Select and use appropriate design research methods to address design opportunities.
- Plan and conduct interview sessions with users and stakeholders, including executives.
- Research and evaluate emerging design, technology, and industry trends; champion new ideas as appropriate.
- Begin to lead evaluation of current and emerging design, technology, industry, and market trends
- Engage fully in conducting research. Design Researchers must be prepared to plan and lead user research in order to discover insights about people first hand.
- Structure user-centered research and work with a variety of teams through fieldwork to determine users physical, cognitive, social, emotional, and cultural needs. Research specialists must have proven experience in uncovering unmet user needs, and unpacking meaning from sometimes obscure and disparate findings.
- Frame insights in a way that inspires design teams to develop imaginative and appropriate solutions.
- Help to facilitate teams through analysis and synthesis of user research, helping to distill the most important insights and link them together in frameworks, principles, and implications for design. Design researchers must be confident about leading teams and users through a range of research analysis and synthesis processes.
- Communicate design insights and opportunities throughout all phases of design. This includes delivering a quick but compelling inspiration to helping distill the most important insights and linking them together in frameworks or principles that inspire design.
- Compelling storytelling: A critical element of this role is to deliver insights about people and behavior - verbally and visually - in a way that generates empathy, emotion, and engagement from the design team as well as engineering, product management, marketing and others.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors; or in “STEAM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math); or equivalent experience
- 7+ years professional experience with Master’s Degree. 9+ years professional experience with Bachelor’s Degree.; or equivalent experience
Eligibility Requirements: (Country Specific):
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. GE may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills. (If Visa Sponsorship is Yes)
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
- Must be willing to travel
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Chicago, IL or Waukesha, WI
Desired Characteristics :
- Leads and recommends both short- and long-term research activities, contributing to the creation of a research plan
- Conducts qualitative and quantitative research activities such as ethnographic studies and usability studies, including surveys (qualitative and quantitative) and overseeing the work of external research partners and agencies
- Creates and communicates research artifacts, findings, reports, and recommendations with stakeholders
- Participates in planning of research topics and usability tests and contributes to the analysis and synthesis of research findings
- Contributes to management of usage analytics and Voice of the Customer solutions, mining usage data, and communicating findings to stakeholders
- High attention to detail; extremely strong written and verbal communication skills
- Deep knowledge of research tools and survey, acquisition tools
- Creates, analyzes and manages projects that provide direct business benefit. Demonstrates detailed knowledge of business operations and strategic direction, including merger & acquisition opportunities.
- Sees patterns within industry issues. Demonstrates how UX provides solutions for internal/external customer challenges.
- Takes various stakeholders through the design thinking process to frame a project.
- Works to create an understanding of how individual people and things fit within larger structures (like systems or organizations), as well as the relationships between parts of a system and the system as a whole.
- Translates user-centered design requirements into technical implementations for projects. Continuously measures deliverables of self and team against scheduled commitments. Effectively balances different, competing objectives.
- Keeps participants focused on task and end process. Guides participation to include all present; solicits information about absent stakeholders.
- Expresses technology options to collaborators on cross functional teams. Goes beyond merely suggesting design technologies and clearly articulates the rationale and benefit of design technology choices.
- Understands the value of a rigorous and transparent decision-making process.
- Works with cross-functional teams and cross-business teams and assist in driving broad-reaching solutions across the function / business.
- Influences change through others and begins to set a vision for future change; evangelizes the practice of interaction design to GE business leaders.
- Understands the skills necessary for contributing to constructive conversations utilizing active listening and validating the information needs of stakeholders and users.
- Demonstrates a deep passion for learning and courage to push the boundaries of one’s own thinking.
- Acts and decides appropriately when all available information may not be possible to obtain
- Demonstrates the ability to connect, extract information, and communicate with customer groups
- Asks questions appropriate to translating an abstract problem into a roadmap for identifying solutions
- Pilots new ideas and processes that have not been utilized before.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications :
- GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes