Job Title: UX Researcher
Client Location: Remote- CST or EST hours
Salary/Pay Rate: $55 hr plus subsidized benefits
Firm, non-negotiable: No
Duration: 6 mos+
Are you a skilled User Experience Researcher? Are you passionate about bringing actionable insights about real users to digital teams? Are you interested in collaborating with a team of designers, product managers, business analysts, and content strategists, and other business, creative, research, technical and strategic professionals across the organization to create best-of-class user experiences? Do you thrive in an environment that works on multiple high-visibility projects with important impact on users’ work and lives?
Our client is committed to investing in innovative digital experiences that improve our customers’ quality of life and interaction with the business. Connecting a wide array of users, including consumers, members, providers, employers and agents/brokers, with one another, drives user engagement and satisfaction and brings increasing value to the business. Are you the person to infuse our digital properties and processes with user data and insights that will bring these experiences to life?
The User Experience Researcher role is positioned within a cross-functional team in the Digital Health & Analytics group. This team is responsible for creating exceptional user-centered digital experiences that achieve business goals and exceed user expectations across a wide range of digital experiences, including web and mobile. The team collaborates with others across the organization focused on integrating and developing best practices in usability, analytics, accessibility, and cross-platform strategy in an Agile development environment.
As a User Experience Researcher positioned within this cross-functional team, you will be responsible for developing digital research plans and processes as well as conducting user research. The results of your work will help designers better understand user goals, needs, behaviors, limitations, and preferences as well as provide rationale for design decisions.
A firm understanding of user-centered design processes, usability testing, and user research methods are crucial for success.
As the User Experience Researcher, you will:
• Establish research roadmaps, research objectives, proposals, methods, and processes
• Conduct and coordinate usability studies, surveys, and other design research
• Analyze research findings and report results
• Translate research findings into actionable design recommendations
• Lead numerous research efforts in collaboration with other internal teams and vendors
• Mine through existing data and research findings, distilling them into practical design recommendations and user insights
• Synthesize data and findings from multiple studies and sources into succinct reports and focused points of view that inspire and inform UX and other digital teams
• Advocate for and bring the voice of users into digital design solutions, informing and educating about what works and what doesn’t for users
• Develop user scenarios and prototype specifications to support research studies
• At least 3 years of experience as a User Experience Researcher
• Bachelor's degree in Human Factors, Psychology, or similar field
• Strong knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research tools and methods, including usability studies, interviews, site visits, surveys, user modeling, card sorting, etc.
o Ability to design and moderate qualitative studies
o Experience with unmoderated research platforms such as UserZoom or Dscout
• Demonstrated skill in planning and conducting usability studies for complex transactional user interfaces and interactions for web, mobile and cross channel experiences
• Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze study findings, present results, and make recommendations based on data
• Ability to understand and articulate the underlying causes for usability issues
• Ability to adapt existing processes and deliverables when necessary to meet project needs, improve efficiency and quality, and gain practical results with minimal cost and effort
• Passion for understanding users and their behaviors and cognitive processes
• Experience working on multiple projects simultaneously
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and ability to make detailed information understandable
• At least 3 years of experience conducting research and usability studies for cross-channel, mobile/responsive web sites
• An advanced degree in Human Factors, Psychology, or similar field. Significant relevant work experience may substitute for an advanced degree.
• Self-starter who can make significant progress with minimal guidance
• Ability to be flexible in a very fluid and dynamic environment
• Must be extremely well-organized and capable of handling multiple (and sometimes conflicting) priorities effectively
• Experience with creating prototypes (paper, clickable, Axure, HTML, etc.)
• Excellent analytical and process-oriented skills
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
• Experience with all facets of the user research methods within user-centered design process, including prototyping, heuristic evaluations, and usability testing
• Familiarity with software development processes (e.g., waterfall, agile)
• Knack for juggling several projects, managing time efficiently and prioritizing appropriately
• Experience working with stakeholders to uncover research goals and requirements
o Familiarity with the Design Thinking process, leading workshops, and consensus-building
• Maturity required to set ego aside and contribute user insights and design recommendations without attachment to the outcomes
• Passion for sharing information and helping others be successful
• Focused on team success rather than individual success
• Approachable, respectful, open, transparent and easy to work with – even in stressful situations
• Flexible – able to change course when needed. This might include changing design approaches, design platforms and design tools.
• Ability to be self-aware, receive feedback and continually improve
• Ability to produce clarity when confronted with unclear situations
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills