At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual (NM) has 160 years of history providing financial security to millions of people. Continuing that tradition means changing to meet the needs of our clients and financial advisors. We are a strong, innovative, and growing company that invests in people who care and make a positive impact. The Product Design team leads the way by creating human, simple, and engaging products to help people plan, track, and protect their financial goals.
What's the role?
User Experience Researchers on our Design team inform, shape, evaluate, and monitor the user experiences delivered to consumers, the field, and home office employees through a variety of qualitative and quantitative research techniques. They work collaboratively with leaders, designers, and other partners to support user-centered, data-driven decision-making throughout the product development lifecycle.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan and execute qualitative and quantitative user research
- Communicate research findings and insights to partners and advocate for the end-user in both tactical and strategic experience design decision-making
- Collaborate with product, design, and development teams to raise awareness of user needs, problems, and behaviors
- Understand stakeholders research needs and identify the right research methodologies to address them
- Develop UX Research artifacts including proposals, moderator’s guides, and research reports
- Identify unmet research opportunities that can add value and efficiently execute them
- Recruit and maintain lists of targeted research participants from internal and external sources and serve as a source of user knowledge for the organization
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Must be willing to work onsite in one of our corporate locations (Milwaukee, WI or NYC) for at least 3 days/week
- 1-3 years of previous experience conducting quantitative and qualitative research in an academic or applied setting and Master's degree or higher in Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, HCI or related field
- Experience in a number of research methods such as interviews, surveys, contextual inquiry, diary studies, card sorting, usability testing, competitive benchmarking, etc.
- Knowledge of user-centered design lifecycle and experimental design, descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Proven understanding of tools such as UserZoom, User Testing, Morae, Qualtrics, Optimal Sort.
- Experience applying research methods to product development/user centered design
- Executes project work independently, managing simple programs of research with moderate supervision and influences project and project leadership
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.