Softwire is looking for an experienced user researcher to join our fast-growing Labs / UX team.
You are highly motivated and enthusiastic about improving the experiences of our clients’ users, by better understanding their needs. You use research to help craft the best outcome for the users and the business.
You’ll have experience of a wide range of research techniques and best practices, both remote and in-person, with the knowledge of when to use them. You have experience bringing quantitive and qualitative research data together to draw business-focused conclusions and then engage with the team and clients to communicate these and devise plans to test them.
You adapt to the context, helping to plan and implement the right combination of activities and deliverables, to best meet project goals. You feel comfortable operating in ambiguous or unpredictable situations and can prioritise to meet deadlines. We sometimes need to ramp-up quickly to help our clients and need to be able to make a difference early in the project.
You’ll be comfortable as the ‘point’ researcher on any project, helping and feeding insight to the wider team, and drawing on their know-how to help build research and data-informed artefacts (personas, journey maps, needs etc) and beyond that, effective products.
You appreciate working autonomously within a supportive environment. We value the balance between life and work and want to provide the right conditions to enable you to be the best you can be.
Experience & Qualifications
In more detail, we’re after someone with:
- Experience applying user research, ideally with both public-sector and commercial clients
- A track record you can share with us (via portfolio or other) demonstrating success across a variety of projects and activities
- Degree or higher in a relevant subject (HCI, psychology etc), or equivalent experience
- Experience working within Agile/SCRUM processes
- Experience of working in or alongside design sprints
Logistics & Planning Capabilities
- Able to plan and lead your own activities, as well as develop and execute research plans to business priorities and project content
- Lead clients and the team members in workshops, focus groups and other research activities
- Work with the team and wider project partners to identify and prioritise project goals, based on validated research
- Be able to handle logistics of user recruitment, scheduling and interactions
- Experience of using data to inform business and design decisions
- Be a strong advocate of the user within a business setting, understanding where this gives the best value
- Help clients through the process of aligning behind priorities that help deliver their business objectives
- Understand aspects of product/business lifecycle and where/how research can deliver value
- In-depth knowledge of UCD and research techniques, understanding when and where to apply them
- Expertise with a range of tools available to enable and bring together in-person and remote testing techniques
- Dedication to developing research practice
Team / process
- Familiar with agile (and agile-like) process
- Understanding of wider development process, and where/how user research fits
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams, and to develop and mentor their skills in getting the most from user research
- Ability to move with the team, iterating research as a project progresses
Presentation / Communication Skills
- Communicate the value of user engagement in new business activities: proposal writing; project scoping and presentations
- Present articulately, and explain user needs to clients (some of whom may be unfamiliar with, or sceptical of user research and UCD)
- Have the empathy to engage and develop strong working relationships with all sorts of people
- Be confident enough to both stick to your principles and flexible enough to take on board those of other team members
- Understand the communications needs around delivering insights, in order to make a compelling case
We’re a fast-growing team, within a more established agency, focusing on innovation, proof-of-concept and early-stage engagements. We work very closely with our clients in intense, user-focused, prototype driven sprints, that grow into long-term relationships. We’re looking for someone to grow with us with a strong opportunity to shape your future role in the team.