This is an intermediate-level position for a user researcher. We’re looking for a passionate user researcher who thrives in collaboratively busting complex, ambiguous problem spaces by employing both seasoned and progressive research practices to draw compelling recommendations and understanding of our users that with guide designers, product owners, and technical leads to build the best experiences for our customers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Become deeply familiar with Vertex’s mission, vision, practices, market, customers, services, and systems.
- Socialize a deep and shared understanding within Vertex of our customers and their problems, their unmet needs, their behavior within our products and services, and the key frustrations they encounter.
- Meet with key stakeholders in product management, program management, and technology to identify, plan, and prioritize generative and evaluative user research needs and opportunities, articulating the key customer problems or needs and the desired business and customer outcomes of each project.
- Plan, initiate, and lead primary and secondary generative and evaluative research activities in partnership with design, product, and engineering (e.g. customer interviews, surveys, card sorts, field visits, usability tests, SUS, etc.).
- Document and track learnings gathered so insights can be easily referenced and applied for future projects.
- Research, structure, and socialize user journey maps for the primary task flows of our solutions.
- Consolidate, validate, and socialize personas.
- Maintain the instrumentation of our products to leverage behavioral analytics and product insights.
- Support product design into the organization and facilitation of internal working sessions (e.g. user story mapping, group ideation, affinity mapping, design sprints, etc.).
- Continuously learn through self-study, engagement with the user research community, and company-expensed professional development opportunities (e.g. books, workshops, conferences, certifications, etc.).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Can demonstrate professional contribution to enterprise-level web-based services. Your portfolio will be requested and reviewed during the interview process.
- Can cut through ambiguous and complex problem spaces with a structured plan to bring clarity.
- Can use a wide variety of mixed, qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Can develop hypotheses examining users’ behaviors, needs, and attitudes.
- Can synthesize compelling and actionable insights through rich, clear storytelling via presentations, reports, or workshops.
- Can succinctly and persuasively tell the story of your insights and our customers to internal audiences.
- Can evangelize and celebrate individual and team successes.
- Solid knowledge of and experience with Agile software development.
The Winning Way behaviors that all Vertex employees need in order to meet the expectations of each other, our customers, and our partners.
- Communicate with Clarity - Be clear, concise and actionable. Be relentlessly constructive. Seek and provide meaningful feedback.
- Act with Urgency - Adopt an agile mentality - frequent iterations, improved speed, resilience. 80/20 rule – better is the enemy of done. Don’t spend hours when minutes are enough.
- Work with Purpose - Exhibit a “We Can” mindset. Results outweigh effort. Everyone understands how their role contributes. Set aside personal objectives for team results.
- Drive to Decision - Cut the swirl with defined deadlines and decision points. Be clear on individual accountability and decision authority. Guided by a commitment to and accountability for customer outcomes.
- Own the Outcome - Defined milestones, commitments and intended results. Assess your work in context, if you’re unsure, ask. Demonstrate unwavering support for decisions.