We are looking for a passionate, experienced User Researcher to help us transform our team from a purely feature-driven focus to a fully empowered team of product professionals. This role is a part of a growing, high-performance product team in a fast-growing cannabis software business. You’ll work most closely with product and design teams, helping them gather insights that inform product strategy as well as sharing research methods and tools that enable them to ask and answer questions on their own. Because of the pace that the company is scaling, you will not only be a research practitioner but also have a hand in shaping the way our research operations grow with the business.
As a user researcher, you will have a significant impact on the business helping to shape the future of our product in both the short and long term. Your challenge will be to discover user needs that align with business goals to make the interface more effective. Users can be current and prospective customers - as well as our own customer-facing team members. You will bring the team along on the journey of your discoveries and actively contribute to the centralization and democratization of customer insights.
We’re in a special market
- The cannabis space is very unique due to the nature of an ever-changing regulatory landscape and explosive growth in market size.
- We have a stellar reputation for being customer-focused and providing industry-leading customer service and aim to maintain that level of excellence with a laser focus on our users.
While we’re a growth-stage company, our environment is typical of a start-up:
- We work in small teams, are fast-paced, and we all get a lot done by everyone wearing many hats.
- We are serious about optimizing our time and staying focused on the most important goals and outcomes.
- We are a remote team and are completely on board with 100% remote work, meaning we focus on over-communication to ensure we can stay in sync despite our physical distance.
- We’re building lots of new things, but also maintaining a significant business. We are mindful of the balance and need to monitor and pay down design and tech debt and also innovate with exciting greenfield projects and new markets.
What You’ll Do:
- Perform all aspects of the product research lifecycle (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting, communicating).
- Translate product and design goals into research questions and plans. Determine and apply the proper research methodologies to the type of questions being asked.
- Plan and moderate remote product research, travel for field user research sessions (Can be fully remote until it’s safe to work in the field.)
- Implement behavioral tracking tools and gather research data from current and prospective customers, to measure the effectiveness of features being released and areas of opportunity to develop.
- Collect and analyze feedback and research results from customers, stakeholders, and other teams to shape requirements, features, and products.
- Clearly communicate research findings to all levels of the company and make thoughtful recommendations to the organization that align with both user and business goals - choosing the appropriate deliverable format that is right for the project and audience.
What You’ll Have:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience conducting product research for complex interactive software applications, establishing and analyzing usage metrics.
- A degree in a relevant field such as anthropology, human-centered design, cognitive psychology, or related discipline.
- Strong communication and listening skills, along with the ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Experience with end-to-end research projects; from defining goals and objectives, developing scripts or interview guides, conducting fieldwork, analyzing results, and sharing insights with stakeholders.
- Experience navigating ambiguity and know how to balance autonomy, collaboration, and creativity.
- Demonstrated experience with research at every step of the product development cycle, informing both strategic and tactical decisions – and the ability to show how your work has had a substantial impact.
- Strong behavioral research and analysis skills, (designing, conducting, and analyzing data from different kinds of research methodologies.)
- Hands-on experience with a wide range of research methodologies and approaches, including ethnographic studies, contextual inquiries, diary studies, focus groups, card sorting, tree testing, prototype testing, concept evaluation, think-aloud usability studies, surveys, semi-structured interviews, etc.
Even Better If:
- Master’s degree in human factors, cognitive psychology, cognitive science, human-centered design, anthropology, or related discipline.
- Experience with conducting research in a dynamic environment with the ability to organize, plan, and stay ahead of the work.
- Portfolio demonstrating past work experience, deliverables, and the ability to extract actionable insights from qualitative and quantitative data.
- We are a fully remote company and this position will be remote.
- We are looking for someone who is ready to join us full-time after a brief trial period (all our employees do this).
- We offer health benefits, 401k, unlimited time off, charity matching, and other cool perks.
- We are offering an annual starting salary in the range of $85,000 - $115,000 USD.