At Root, we’re always learning. Learning and knowing more helps us make the right decisions that lead us to do the right things, especially when it comes to our customers. We aim to gain a deeper understanding of our customers and how the products and services we design fit into their lives.
To that end, we’re looking for an experienced User Researcher to embed with our Product Design team. This person will design, lead, and execute qualitative research across all aspects of the customer experience. They’ll turn that research into actionable insights alongside Design partners as we all work towards the right solutions together.
Reports to: Sr Manager, UX Research
What you'll be doing
- You’ll plan, design, and conduct customer research sessions of all types, both generative and evaluative, using a range of tools from usability tests to in-context ethnographies to product co-creation and everything in between.
- You’ll frame key questions and create hypotheses that help teams get to the core of what it is they’re trying to solve.
- You’ll partner with the team to find insights from research and build compelling stories to communicate insights to stakeholders.
- You’ll take the leap from insights and spark new ideas, making sense of what was learned and guiding the team with a clear direction forward.
- You’ll help create prototypes of varying fidelity for both learning and communication tools.
- You’ll map user and business needs and opportunities using tools and frameworks like customer journey maps and blueprints.
- You’ll pull data and information from both within the business and the outside world to layer with insights and help guide decisions.
- You’ll manage your work and seek what’s next: What does Root need to learn in order to deliver the best experiences for our customers and do the right thing for our business
Who we're looking for
- You have 3-5 years of relevant experience in UX research.
- A customer champion and practitioner of human-centered design methodologies with a deep understanding of digital product development. You may have once been a designer or product manager yourself, or a research specialist within a successful product org.
- You can switch between the macro: big picture thinking of our customer’s needs and what could be, and the micro: the specific moments of an experience and how it impacts what people do and feel.
- You move from insight to action. You make sense of many sources of input while helping teams uncover tradeoffs and understand implications and what to do next.
- You’re creative, curious, and open-minded. You thrive on ambiguity and trust the process.
- You’re an excellent listener, communicator, and research pro. You guide customers through research activities. You facilitate activities so stakeholders understand the ‘so what’ and know what to do next.
- You have strong people and relationship management skills.
- You have high attention to detail; comfortable independently multitasking and prioritizing projects in a fast-paced work environment
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.