Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
Responsibilities of the role:
- This is a hybrid role—you will build out the UX Research function at MasterClass from the ground up—while building the function and team, expect to play a role in research leadership, research ops, and hands-on research.
- Initiate exploratory research to inform long-term product vision and discover new business opportunities
- Coordinate and lead generative studies to define user needs and inform product decisions
- Operationalize evaluative research programs to ensure our product experiences are effective, user friendly, and high quality
- Clearly and persuasively communicate project findings and the reasoning behind them to internal stakeholders.
- Proactively share-out actionable insights and learnings across the company to highlight emerging needs and customer behaviors
- Create innovative and flexible research techniques that balance proven methods with experimentation
- Act as a connector between the Product Design team and Product, Engineering, Data Science, and Marketing colleagues
- Scope research projects and manage outside vendors
- 2+ years leading research efforts for cross-functional teams steeped in prototyping methods and approaches
- 6+ years driving strategic user research projects at an agency, in-house or both for technology companies, consumer hardware and mobile software products and systems. Other examples might include, but are not limited to, packaged goods, healthcare, and entertainment
- Experience growing a team and managing direct reports
- You have a proven track record of selecting the right mix of methods to answer questions and address business goals, and are comfortable inventing methods when the right one doesn’t exist
- You can show from experience the role user research plays in driving business outcomes from identifying customer needs
- Your tool kit includes user insights and trends research, iterative prototype evaluation, concept testing, user testing, and field research
- You have strong communication, presentation, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- You possess the unique ability to describe complex concepts clearly and persuasively to different audiences, and you are an ardent advocate for the user.
- You have experience helping cross-functional partners unite around common interests. You're biased towards action, and most importantly are comfortable with ambiguity.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role (cover letter)
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.