SoundCloud is a next-generation music entertainment company powered by an ecosystem of artists, fans, and thriving communities. As one of the world's most influential cultural platforms, SoundCloud holds a singular market position as both a music-streaming service with the largest catalogue of music, and an artist services and distribution business to help artists grow long-term, successful careers.
SoundCloud is looking for a User Experience / Design Researcher to join our Creator Services team in Los Angeles. We are looking for a curious and collaborative researcher to join our extraordinary design team and develop a deep understanding of the needs of our creators and musicians, including how they use our products today and how we can better meet their needs as they grow their music careers online. You'll take a thorough approach to research, translating customer needs into practical insights that will inspire our design, product, and engineering teams to make new and existing product experiences remarkable.
This role requires a dynamic individual who is comfortable working across teams and timezones, including collaborating with designers and researchers in our Berlin office. We are looking for someone to lead research initiatives, with a strong ability to go deep into the details but also, step back and connect the dots with business needs, technical constraints and help the teams to develop comprehensive solutions for creators.
- Work closely with the Creator Services Product and Design teams daily to prioritize research projects and approaches for high-impact research in agile, iterative cycles
- Scope and conduct user experience/design research studies applying various qualitative and quantitative methods
- Work closely with the Audience Research and Insights team to triangulate your research findings with other existing data sources
- Seek creative ways to report and communicate research findings (presentations, frameworks, videos, etc)
- Make practical design recommendations and help drive product, design and strategic decisions
- Serve as a user advocate within SoundCloud and help evangelize a user-centered perspective and alignment across the company
- 3+ years of working experience in user research, usability testing, or product design
- Bachelors (or Masters) in Human Factors, HCI, Design, Design Thinking, Cognitive Science, Psychology, Linguistics, Communications/Marketing, Anthropology, Interaction Design or a related field preferred but not mandatory. (Equivalent work experience is also accepted.)
- Experience conducting moderated and unmoderated user experience / design research for a wide range of experiences and devices (including mobile)
- Experience working with both evaluative and generative design research with a deep understanding of methodologies and study design and limitations
- Comfortable with analysis and synthesis of research findings into concrete insights and durable frameworks
- Comfortable with providing coaching and guidance for designers and product managers in running their own studies
- Experience handling multiple concurrent studies while proactively seeking research opportunities and advising various stakeholders
- Collaborative and proactive attitude, great communication skills, and an open, growth-oriented attitude
- We are a multinational company with offices in the US (New York and Los Angeles), Germany (Berlin), and the UK (London)
- We provide a flexible work culture that offers the opportunity to collaborate and connect in person at our offices as well as accommodating work from home
- We are deeply committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels of our organization and fostering a community where everyone's voice, perspective and experience is respected and heard
- We believe a strong team is made by investing in employees through mentorship, workshops and enrichment opportunities
Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as mental health resources
- Robust 401k program
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Generous professional development allowance
- Interested in a gym membership, photography course or book? We have a Creativity and Wellness benefit!
- Flexible vacation and public holiday policy where you can take up to 35 days of PTO annually
- Various snacks, goodies, and 2 free lunches weekly when at the office
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at SoundCloud
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization. With this foundation, we aim to build a social platform and global community for everyone to create, discover, and share sounds. We acknowledge the challenges in our industry and strive to develop an inclusive culture where individual contributions are valued. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for everyone, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, migration background, national origin, age, disability status, or care-giver status.
At SoundCloud you can find your community or elevate your allyship by joining a Diversity Resource Group (groups focused on people of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, and women). You may also participate in inclusive workshops, contribute to our Cultural Moments series, select organizations for the SoundCloud Community Fund to support, and more!