The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role:
As The Trevor Project’s first UX researcher, you will play a major role in establishing our overall UXR practice, and evangelizing user experience best-practices organization-wide. You will work closely with a (future) UX designer, data scientist, product owners, software and ML engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to ensure we are solving the right problems and identifying innovative opportunities for new and existing products and experiences. You will plan and conduct user research primarily using qualitative methods and share critical insights that lead to human- and youth-centered products and AI solutions, primarily for our crisis response value-chain, but across other mission-critical verticals for the organization.
Who you are:
- Knowledgeable. You have formal training in human-computer interaction, psychology, or a related field, and have multiple years of experience using it to inform product development that is centered around user needs, behaviors, and motivations
- Innovative. You actively look for ways to introduce new ideas or improve existing processes and are adaptable and flexible with changing priorities
- Approachable. You can comfortably interact with a wide range of audiences, whether you are conducting live research with LGBTQ youth or sharing insights with leadership
- Empathetic. You care about the wellbeing of LGBTQ youth and respect those around you regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and physical ability
- Impactful. You deliver consistent, high-quality work with increased levels of autonomy, and you ensure your work advances progress on team and organizational goals
- Collaborative. People love how you can explain complex concepts in a way that everyone can understand
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun!
What you’ll do:
- Define and execute a UX research roadmap with short and long-term studies that supports the cross-functional OKR planning process
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define research goals, testable hypotheses, and success metrics
- Plan and execute continuous UX research activities with product, engineering, and cross-functional stakeholders
- Use mixed research methods to capture different types of insights that inform product strategy and design
- Lead all phases of the UXR process, including preparation, execution, and analysis of research studies and findings
- Prepare and deliver high-impact reports and presentations to stakeholders and leadership
- Operationalize research insights into actionable, measurable goals across product development
- Maintain a centralized UX research repository of past reports, templates, and playbooks
- Evangelize UX research internally, and mentor and coach cross-functional project leads conducting their own analyses for specific projects
- Be an advocate for young people seeking help in crises, as well as other user groups, while understanding the goals of the organization
- Nurture a culture of experimentation and human-centered decision-making through proactive knowledge-sharing across teams and departments
- Develop standards and processes that ensure consistency, rigor, and accuracy, both in conducting and applying UX research
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including Summer Fridays
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people every day
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please upload a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.