Rakuten is Japan's leading Internet services company, a largest e-commerce company in Japan, and the third largest e-commerce marketplace worldwide with a combined membership of almost 1.3 billion. Rakuten has 70+ businesses and services spread across 30 countries and regions worldwide, this includes Viber, eBates, Lyft and more, reaching a global audience of nearly 1 billion users. Rakuten is an Eco-system of online services, providing a variety of consumer and business-focused services including e-commerce, e-reading, travel, banking, securities, credit card, e-money, portal and media, online marketing and professional sports.
Rakuten Viki is a premier global entertainment streaming site where millions of people discover and consume primetime shows and movies subtitled in more than 200 languages, by our community of fans. With billions of videos viewed and more than 1 billion words translated, Viki brings global entertainment to fans everywhere!
We are looking for a UX Researcher to help elevate our UX research practice to the next level. With most of our users outside of this little red dot (Singapore), we have been conducting research remotely since our inception. Initially you will be conducting and streamlining how research is done at Rakuten Viki e.g. improve our recruitment process. Over time you will work to deepen our UX research practice through longitudinal studies and help deliver insights that influence our long term product strategy. With your help we'll be able to spread the joy of Asian entertainment to the whole world by better fulfilling our users (unmet) needs.
You'll be working closely together with the UX team, Product Managers and Data team to help us learn about our users and to find opportunities. This role is initially tactical and over time also strategic, where you will report to our Head of UX & Design.
What success looks like for this role:
- After 3 months: You have taken ownership of all our current user research responsibilities and have alleviated the rest of the UX team’s research workload.
- After 6-9 months: You have helped improve the UX team's research productivity and efficiency by placing great practices and guidelines in place
- After 1.5-2 years: Your foundational research has allowed for longitudinal insights to surface that can influence product strategy and allow for Viki to leapfrog our competition.
- Conduct research using a wide range of qualitative methods and a subset of quantitative methods.
- Plan design and lead research projects end to end and facilitate the experience for our team.
- Act in a consultative and advisory role to various levels within the design and product teams to identify research topics and plan studies for both generative and evaluative purposes.
- Represent the voice of the users: create and maintain a process to analyze all our user feedback from diverse sources and distill insights from them.
- Management of software for research.
- Good Ops management of recruitment including the tools, databases and schedules but also the small things that make a difference - managing effective incentives, saying thank you.
- Socialise, communicate and evangelise research and UX practices.
Over time you should be able to:
- Create and maintain guides/templates/standard research processes like recruitment, research briefings, research artifacts, ethics, etc.
- Governance: informed framework for conducting research that is safe, legal and ethical.
- Asset management: where you store raw or processed data, whether A/V or other forms of documentation.
- Knowledge management: strategies and solutions for surfacing and delivering insights and findings to the rest of the company.
- Actively mentor and coach team members on best research practices.
- Degree in Psychology, Social Science, Human Computer Interaction, with a focus on qualitative and quantitative research, or an equivalent qualification.
- 4+ years’ experience as a UX researcher in a product/service design consultancy or (preferred) as part of an in-house product design/UX research team.
- Strong communication skills to collaborate with different teams and provide insights to stakeholders.
- Experience planning, executing and analyzing qualitative and quantitative research.
- Brings experience leading remote studies.
Rakuten is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged