At Tesco our focus is on the customer and so we are looking for a UX Researcher to advocate the needs of the customer to the wider business, challenging user experience problems that impact millions of customers and inspire others to follow suit.
You will be part of defining the way the UX research is run at Tesco, working with our multidisciplinary team made up of UX Designers, Product Managers, data analysts, Marketing and Technology teams to shape the customer experience.
You are a natural problem solver who is skilled in a range of research methods with experience turning research findings into actionable user centred design and product goals. You excel at sharing insight artefacts that inspire and aid user centred design.
As our ideal candidate, you have a passion for understanding people, their motivations, their behaviours and the challenges they face. You have excellent observational and analytical skills, the ability to collaborate with other teams, and a relentless determination to do what is right for customers. You will be responsible for identifying customer needs and delivering insights that inform the development of compelling user-friendly interfaces and digital products.
You will be responsible for
- Conduct UX research for high priority projects in the Online & Store Product team.
- Execute qualitative and quantitative UX research throughout the design and development lifecycle, from early strategic direction through post-release validation.
- Provide research, balancing the business and customer needs. Support project teams to define, influence, and drive the user experience vision for projects.
- Support senior researchers and UX research manager to identify and prioritise research needs, avoiding duplication and aligning best practice.
- Work closely with the Product and Design teams to ensure research insights are incorporated. Support the Product and Design teams in establishing successful processes and ways of working.
- Develop relationships across the business to collate existing data and insights to inform product strategy and areas of opportunity. Become an advocate of UX Research and suggest how research can be incorporated during stakeholder meetings.
- Share research expertise and knowledge with others and encourage the wider team to actively participate in UX Research, to improve organisational capability and challenge team thinking.
You will need
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- University degree of 2:1 or higher in human-computer interaction (HCI), Behavioural Science, Psychology, or a related field, or equivalent years of professional experience
- Sound knowledge in the field of UX research, experience of working as a UX researcher on digital products.
- Understanding of how behavioral science/ psychology and UX principles can be applied when conducting and analyzing research
- Proven hands-on experience with a wide range of qualitative and quantitative research methods and techniques (such as usability testing, ethnography, contextual enquiry, creation of user profiles personas, journey mapping, surveys, competitor analysis).
- Track record of research results impacting product strategy and development.
- Experience of working in an agile product development environment and applying lean UX research methods.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organisation.
- Ability to collaborate with a wide set of stakeholders including designers, product managers, developers and analysts.
- Experience of using and managing the use of online research tools e.g. unmoderated remote testing, online surveys.
- Using software tools for both lab based and remote user testing e.g. UserTesting.com and Optimal Workshop.
- Manage relationships with external research and recruitment agencies. Previous experience working with universities would be a plus.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme where you can earn up to 3.5% of base salary
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco (from April 2020)
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Hatfield & Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus & Hatfield Offices
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners