Do you dare to reinvent the future of education?
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals. As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and encouraged to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, build and set in motion.
Are we right for you?
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day! We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to try new things to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
The User Experience Researcher is responsible for understanding and communicating customer needs, pain points and workflows! You are proficient in human-centered design and well versed in all UX research methodologies. You will craft and execute the appropriate methodology, both quantitative and qualitative, to deliver meaningful, data-driven insights that represent the voice of multiple customers. Your work will support product design to ultimately deliver products that are intuitive and easy to use.
- Lead, design and execute generative and evaluative UX design research efforts (e.g., usability testing, one-on-one interviews, heuristic evaluations, competitor assessments, experience maps, usability assessments, internal benchmarking, co-design activities, contextual inquiries, ethnographic research, surveys, card sorting, tree testing, A/B testing) ensuring the right strategy and methodology are utilized to deliver meaningful results.
- Conduct comprehensive heuristic evaluations of the end-to-end experience of our core products following all possible paths, measure usability and make recommendations that will improve usability.
- Clearly and persuasively communicate research results, and provide findings and recommendations to internal stakeholders via impactful presentations and research assets.
- Build and communicate deep understanding of our users' needs, goals, and workflows, turning qualitative and quantitative user research into insights and artifacts which will craft the future of our products.
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, technology product managers, engineering, marketing, analytics teams, and leadership to identify knowledge gaps and propose and plan methodology to gain needed insights.
Skills you will need here:
- BS in Human Computer Interaction, UX, or related bachelor’s degree with a strong background in business, market research, or behavioral sciences (e.g., Math/Stats, Psychology, Communication, Behavioral Economics/Decision Sciences, etc.)
- Mastery and experience with design thinking and facilitation, lean UX, research frameworks, visual mapping and modeling; certifications desired but not required. (ideally > 4 years)
- Experience applying cutting edge user experience research strategies and techniques to a variety of projects and initiatives.
- First-hand, practical experience with a range of qualitative and quantitative techniques, including: Design Sprints, field research, 1:1 interviews/IDI’s, focus groups, concept testing, running beta tests, ethnographic research, card sorting, tree-testing, benefit testing and survey design and analysis.
- Fluent in current and emerging user experience trends, tools, and methodologies.
- Excellent project management and thought leadership skills; strong collaboration/teamwork skills; a problem-solver with a results-orientated approach
- Experienced user of digital research and project management tools (Qualtrics, online qualitative discussion boards/focus groups, Recollective, Validately, Smartsheets, etc.)
- Strong eye for business and understanding of product development and different development strategies.
- Excellent communication and strong client facing skills, ability to explain sophisticated analysis in simple terms and convert analysis into real world measurable solutions
- Autonomous, hands-on experience designing, programming, synthesizing and delivering research initiatives from beginning to end: initial project design and set up, data collection and processing, analytics, and communication of findings and recommendations.
- Proactive with the ability to think out-of-the-box to bring the consumer to life in an impactful way, delivering measurable insight and deep consumer understanding of motivations, attitudes, and behaviors.
- Enthusiastic and passionate about research.
Cengage is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, parental status, cultural background, organizational level, work styles, tenure and life experiences. Or for any other reason. You may view Cengage’s EEO/Affirmative Action Policy signed by CEO Michael Hansen and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice by visiting their corresponding links.
Cengage is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at +1 (617) 289-7917.
Cengage is the education and technology company built for learners. The company serves the higher education, K-12, professional, library and workforce training markets worldwide. Cengage creates learning experiences that build confidence and momentum toward the future students want. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA. Employees reside in nearly 40 countries with sales in more than 125 countries around the world. Visit us at www.cengage.com or find us on Facebook or Twitter.