About the job
IT Operations and DevOps teams are going through rapid transitions in technology, team structure and role demands. As cloud technology evolves the tools they need to tackle observability are evolving to meet the new needs and requirements. You can be at the forefront of supplying critical data that is clear, useful, and actionable to keep teams running efficiently and effectively.
We're looking for a Principal User Experience Researcher to join Splunk’s Observability User Research team. Observability is a top priority at Splunk with a lot of exciting challenges to tackle.
As a Principal User Experience Researcher, your hands-on, multi-method abilities will help define and drive the future of Splunk design. These multi-methods include leading foundational studies, conducting interviews with key customers, using statistics to analyze data, and traditional design research like usability and participatory design. You will inspire teams to push their current boundaries of what is possible, identify and set product strategy, while helping teams understand complex UX ecosystems through seamlessly synthesizing data into engaging reports. You have a clear vision of what the future of user experience for Splunk products is, and have the courage to uphold that vision through forward-thinking research.
In this role, you’ll build empathy and understanding of what users need, while closely collaborating with designers, engineering, product management and various other functions daily, to help define the future of Splunk. We’re looking for thinkers and innovators who are willing to challenge the status quo and are energized by developing creative solutions to complex problems.
What You'll Do
- Be a thought leader on how to use research and data to inform the product experience.
- Foster and grow User Research and a data driven product design culture.
- Handle the design, administration, and execution of research studies.
- Manage stakeholders dynamically that includes guiding stakeholder discussions with the appropriate user research methods to achieve business and design goals.
- Partner with Design team members, including managers on research execution and/or design workshops.
- Identify new research opportunities.
- Propose, plan, execute, and deliver user research at various stages of the product development lifecycle to drive decisions.
- Create deliverables in the form of engaging reports, journey maps, or other materials as needed by the project team.
- Share research insights with cross-functional partners to create a smarter, more informed, and more user-focused team
- Unafraid of creating new systems and processes as needed.
- This is a very hands-on role, and includes managing participant recruitment, data collection (includes moderating sessions), data synthesis and analysis, and delivery of findings and recommendations.
What You'll Bring
- 8+ years’ experience doing qualitative and quantitative user research on products
- Extensive experience planning and executing different types of research and testing activities
- Degree in the field of HCI, Human Factors, Design, Anthropologie or a related field / relevant work experience (advanced degree a plus)
- Strong sense of independence, ownership, and initiative with an ability to self-direct and manage what to work on, how to get it done, and when to deliver
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to manage multiple high-profile projects in a dynamic organization.
- A strong track record of building respect for User Research and impacting product decisions with high quality data and insights
- A curiosity for technology, big data and the future of cloud development
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Strong analytical and presentation skills.
- Strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase.
- Effective interpersonal, communication, negotiation and collaboration skills.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.