About the job
CDW is looking for a User Experience Researcher to help us define and shape our internal customer experience research practice. We are building, evolving, and refining an ecosystem of digital solutions and product offerings to create a best-in-class experience that is intuitive, joyful, and innovative while also reflecting our brand values and commitment to nurturing people and businesses. This position will design and conduct research activities that inform our understanding of the end-to-end shopping experience, identifying key opportunity areas. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of user research methods and best practices, experience with and passion for new technology for the CDW website, and a nimble, creative and pragmatic approach.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Distill project goals and research questions into well thought-out research plans
- Method determination - ability to identify the best method or mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing
- Evaluative research - assessing our existing product ecosystem with an eye for incremental improvements and refinements
- Generative research - assessing gaps in our customer journey that would benefit the customer and how they engage with our offerings
- Collaboration on interdisciplinary teams - strong cross-functional communication skills and comfortable working with design, product and technology in order to actualize the recommended changes.
- Work closely with UX and 3rd party vendors on building and testing prototypes and existing features
- Acting as the advisor on best practices for UX Designers as they do research within their teams day-to-day.
- Building, and maintaining a research candidate list, as well as a library of past research activities, so both can be quickly mined for insights and planning.
- Determine user needs by conducting task-focused analyses.
- Communicate findings to inform on UX design solutions to multiple development teams through detailed specifications and similar types of communication documents.
- Usability moderating (all types, particularly one-on-one), participant recruiting/screener creation, experimental design, test method selection, debriefing, facilitation, participant recruiting/screener creation, statistical/qualitative/quantitative analysis, presentations (verbal and written)
- Engaging with project teams to determine needs and the best way to test for those needs, create test plans, run the testing (moderating), analyze results, compile reports
- Maintain continuous contact with all internal and external stakeholders through the project and after completion making sure features are delivered with high quality and on time.
- Bachelor’s degree in interaction design (HCI, design, or a related field) or four years of equivalent design experience.
- 5+ years experience as a UX researcher, designing, running, and reporting on your own studies
Other Required Qualifications
- Strong, in-depth knowledge of User Interface Design principles and processes, Human Factors, Interaction Design guidelines, industry standards and trends, and the product development process; especially in the online (web) and mobile environment (tablet and phone)
- Experience of working within an Agile development environment
- Demonstrated understanding of quantitative research and knowledge of the strengths and limitations of when to use qualitative vs when to use quantitative methodologies
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders including senior leadership.
- Proven track record of balancing multiple priorities simultaneously and negotiating workflow, while meeting deadlines.
- Portfolio required
- Master’s degree in HCI, design, or a related field
- Experience as a researcher, an information architect, interaction designer, or user experience designer (or similar role)
- Experience in both agencies and client-side
- Mobile and Responsive Design experience
- Proficient experience with eCommerce websites