About the job
Come join our UX research team to help create, inspire, and influence human-centered technology at Esri and beyond. You mission will be to develop and implement evidence-based insights for Esri’s flagship SaaS web-mapping product ArcGIS Online. You will collaborate closely with designers and product development team members to build web mapping technology that our customers use to solve the world’s most complex challenges.
Our ideal candidate is driven by purpose, collaboration, and the exchange of new ideas. They are a self-starter who is proactive about tackling problems, defining research needs, and driving decision-making based on evidence. They are eager to hone their craft while expanding their toolkit, and understand the power of both listening and sharing their expertise. If you want to do innovative work on technology that matters, then join us!
- Carry out a mix of exploratory and evaluative research to drive the innovation and incremental improvement of web-based enterprise applications
- Collaboratively engage product managers, designers, and engineers across the life of research projects, from identifying research opportunities and goals, to identifying participants, to collecting and analyzing data, and acting on findings
- Effectively communicate results to stakeholders through actionable insights, compelling recommendations, and informative deliverables that fuel ideation and iteration
- Take an inclusive approach to research and design, ensuring our participants, data, and recommendations reflect the diverse settings and backgrounds of our users
- Build on our repertoire of research approaches to understanding geospatial technologies, and its users and contexts
- Contribute to research team processes that bolster the rigor, speed, visibility, and value of our research, such as helping grow our research repository and participant panel
- Enhance the research knowledge and skills of colleagues on the product team and across Esri by creating research resources (e.g., study templates, informational guides, policies), peer-reviewing study designs and outcomes, and delivering workshops or other internal training activities
- Serve as a general subject matter expert on usability, user research, and design ethics
- 2+ years of experience carrying out applied research embedded in a product team
- Demonstrated knowledge of a variety of qualitative and participatory methodologies, such as individual and group interviewing, usability testing, ethnography, diary studies, and heuristic evaluation, as well as knowledge of when and how to apply them throughout the product lifecycle
- Experience running studies that are moderated or unmoderated, as well as remote or in person
- Experience testing digital experiences across desktop, mobile, and web, or an understanding of the challenges and best practices of conducting research on each platform
- Understanding of the practical and ethical considerations surrounding informed consent, user privacy, data management, and participant representation
- Experience recruiting participants from the general public, specialized industry audiences, international users, and people with disabilities
- Demonstrated ability to take a holistic approach to problem-solving, triangulating data and generating insights across diverse sources of evidence
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and presentation skills, with the ability to make complex ideas understandable
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills evidenced by the ability to appropriately scope and manage research projects in a team setting
- Familiarity with product development methodologies, such as Agile and Scrum
- Bachelor’s or higher from an accredited institution in human-computer interaction, information science, anthropology, psychology, sociology, communication, or related field
- Familiarity with geographic information system (GIS) technologies, mapping, or related data visualization applications
- Knowledge of research strategies and design considerations for complex applications/software
- Familiarity with mixed method approaches and basic quantitative methodologies, such as surveys, analytics/telemetry, benchmarking, and descriptive statistics
- Experience working in an enterprise/B2B product development environment
- Familiarity with web accessibility standards, including I10n, i18n, and translation
Please submit some recent or exemplary samples of your research work or be prepared to discuss them during the interview process. Work samples could be a portfolio website, a project case study PDF or PowerPoint, or any other format in which you can showcase your work.
Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri’s geographic information system (GIS) technology inspires and enables governments, universities, and businesses worldwide to save money, lives, and our environment through a deeper understanding of the changing world around them.
Carefully managed growth and zero debt give Esri stability that is uncommon in today's volatile business world. Privately held, we offer exceptional benefits, competitive salaries, 401(k) and profit-sharing programs, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and much more.
Esri is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.