The Amazon Customer Service UX team is looking for an experienced and motivated user researcher to raise the bar on user research at Amazon. This role will be responsible for designing and conducting user research for various content areas of our wide set of customer services tools targeting Amazon Customer Service Associates, as well as, consumers. This research will focus on all stages of the design and product cycle, with focus on generative user research, concept validation, rapid iterative test and evaluation (RITE), and managing various perception metrics.
Deep understanding and experience with and design research methods and how to apply them during the product development cycle is key for this role. Demonstrated experience of designing, running and communicating user research to multiple types of organizational stakeholders is necessary. In addition, experience from working closely with interaction designers and design technologists to drive effective user research, is highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of user research methods and best practices, experience from planning, executing and communicating user research for large complex software platforms. We are a fast moving organization, and the successful candidate will therefore need to be nimble, creative, and have a pragmatic approach to product user research.
This position requires the ability to work with minimal direction. The user researcher will work on overlapping projects, so strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task are critical. Amazon is a fast-paced and exciting environment. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity and will be able to thrive in a resource constrained environment.
· Define and build a strong heuristic user research framework for the design team to leverage.
· Provide world-class expertise to the user research team and raise the user research bar with regards to mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing.
· Work closely with the Product Management and Design Management teams to define, measure and communicate user research insights.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Strong front-end user research skills combined with a proven track record of delivering actionable user insights to partner teams.
· End-to-end experience with all aspects of the user research lifecycle (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting, communicating, budgeting research).
· Experience in best practices for user research and knowledge of what approaches work and which don’t.
· Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
· The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously and multi-task.
· Ability to meet ambitious deadlines and deliver high-quality work in time.
· 5+ years of proven success conducting user research in a large-scale software platform settings, or equivalent.
· A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience and deliverables (e.g.: study plans, reports).
· Experience with Ethnographic work, Contextual Inquiry, User Insight generation related user research, with demonstrated results.
· An MS or Ph.D. degree in psychology, cognitive science, Human Factors, HCI, or similar.
· Extensive experience operating as an individual contributor in a user research role.
· Having shipped multiple releases of software platform products.
· Excellent command of generative user research methodologies
· Solid understanding of the software development cycle