Expected Start Date: December 2020/January 2021
Mach49 is a Growth Incubator for global businesses. We partner with our clients to disrupt existing markets and create new ones through a strategic mix of incubations, corporate venturing and ecosystem creation.
We work side-by-side with client’s intrapreneurial teams to take an idea (market or product concept) through customer validation, solution ideation, and prototype testing; then to the development of a business model and go-to-market plan that the client teams will launch. Along the way we instill lean startup, design-thinking, and agile development mindsets to our client teams as they build out their businesses. Our process is highly customer-centric, relying on customer design research as the linchpin to our overall methodology.
We are seeking a creative problem solver that understands human-centered design, user research, usability testing, persona creation, and design thinking methods to join our team.
To help client teams conceive, test, and build new disruptive products by combining work from multiple disciplines: User Research, Design, Usability, and Design Thinking.
The process begins with Customer Development Research, moves through the brainstorming process, and continues with rapid product iteration. Each 12-week incubation is focused on helping project teams define a product concept, vision, and roadmap that global enterprises can build a business around. The UX Designer/Researcher helps keep the customer in the center throughout the incubation process.
You will bring knowledge of applying design thinking methods in the service of conceiving, validating and building products, including:
- User Research: you will bring solid skills in conducting interviews, note-taking, deriving insight and clearly presenting findings. Over time, you will master script creation, scenario development, qualitative test strategy and persona development.
- UX: you will understand Information Architecture and methods for organizing complex and diverse types of content, and methods for visualizing the customer context, customer journeys etc.
- UI: you will be able to wireframe and prototype at various levels of fidelity
- Visual Design: you will bring a good understanding of visual hierarchy, grid systems, and typography
- Presentation design: you will be able to design compelling presentations and pitch decks that tell stories, communicating boldly and clearly
- You will have fluency in the following design programs: Adobe Creative Cloud, Sketch, Balsamiq, Invision, Keynote/Powerpoint/Google Slides
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Up to 2+ years of work experience
- Degree from an accredited university or college in Design and/or User Experience, or equivalent training/work experience
- A curious mind and the ability to naturally make connections between diverse fields and industries
- The ability to work quickly and efficiently in a very fast-paced, multi-task, collaborative environment
- A positive attitude, resilience, comfort with ambiguity and the ability to contribute to strong team dynamics
- Clear and persuasive written and oral communication style
- Politically savvy when working with clients, skilled at knowing when to lead versus when to collaborate
- Comfort learning and working within the current Mach49 Experience Research process
- Ability to recruit customers for interviews with a focus on successfully delivering interviewees into the schedule, including willingness to approach via multiple channels including phone
- Ability to work effectively with a range of different organizations and people at all levels
- Previous start-up experience a plus
- Willing to be flexible and work when the work is needed, sometimes at odd hours (there are lots of peaks and valleys during an incubation)
Contract Type: Fixed-Term Contract
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.