Amazon's Employee Services Technology (ES Tech) Team is looking for a UX Designer to join a newly formed UX unit. This role will be responsible for designing and conducting user research for various systems. This research will focus on all stages of the design and product cycle, with focus on generative user research, concept validation, rapid iterative test and evaluation (RITE), and managing various perception metrics.
Our team is a global UX team focused on getting our employees and the internal team that support them, the help, information and functionality they need, when and how they need it. Our users are all around the world and span the entire Amazon workforce. Our growing team includes UX Research, Design and Prototyping. We work on projects ranging from rapid iterative UX Design on tactical projects, to major strategic efforts that rethink how we provide support to our employees. We work together with internal stakeholders to create user experiences that help, surprise and delight.
Candidates will be able to demonstrate deep understanding and experience with design research methods and how to apply them during the product development cycle is key for this role. Demonstrated experience of designing, running and communicating user research to multiple types of organizational stakeholders is necessary. In addition, experience working closely with interaction designers and design technologists to drive effective user research, is highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of user research methods and best practices, experience from planning, executing and communicating user research for large complex software platforms. We are a fast moving organization, and the successful candidate will therefore need to be nimble, creative, and have a pragmatic approach to product user research.
This position requires the ability to work with minimal direction. The user researcher will work on overlapping projects, so strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task are critical. Amazon is a fast-paced and exciting environment.
Note - this role is posted as available in Seattle, but can be performed remotely anywhere in the US.
· Define and build a strong heuristic user research framework for the design team to leverage.
· Provide world-class expertise to the user research team and raise the user research bar with regards to mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing.
· Work closely with the Product Management and Design Management to define, measure and communicate user research insights.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Strong front-end user research skills combined with a proven track record of delivering actionable user insights to partner teams.
· End-to-end experience with all aspects of the user research lifecycle (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting, communicating, budgeting research).
· Experience in best practices for user research and knowledge of what approaches work and which don’t.
· Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
· The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously and multi-task.
· Ability to meet ambitious deadlines and deliver high-quality work in time.
· 5+ years of proven success conducting user research in a large-scale software platform settings, or equivalent.
· A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience and deliverables (e.g.: study plans, reports).
· Experience with Ethnographic work, Contextual Inquiry, User Insight generation related user research, with demonstrated results.
· An MS or Ph.D. degree in psychology, cognitive science, Human Factors, HCI, or similar.
· Extensive experience operating as an individual contributor in a user research role.
· Having shipped multiple releases of software platform products.
· Excellent command of generative user research methodologies
· Solid understanding of the software development cycle