About the job
At Tesco our focus is on the customer and so we are looking for a Senior UX Researcher to advocate the needs of the customer to the wider business, challenging
user experience problems that impact millions of customers and inspire others to follow suit.
You will be part of defining the way the UX research is run at Tesco, working with our multidisciplinary team made up of UX Designers, Product Managers, data analysts, Marketing and Technology teams to shape the customer experience.
You are a natural problem solver who is highly skilled in a range of research methods with experience turning research findings into actionable user centred design and product goals. You excel at sharing insight artefacts that inspire and aid user centred design.
As our ideal candidate, you have a passion for understanding people, their motivations, their behaviours and the challenges they face. You have excellent observational and analytical skills, the ability to collaborate with other teams, and a relentless determination to do what is right for customers. You will be responsible for identifying customer needs and delivering insights that inform the development of compelling user-friendly interfaces and digital products.
- Lead UX research for high priority projects in the Online & Store Product team.
- Execute qualitative and quantitative UX research throughout the design and development lifecycle, from early strategic direction through post-release validation.
- Provide research, balancing the business and customer needs. Support project teams to define, influence, and drive the user experience vision for projects.
- Support the UX research manager to identify and prioritise research needs, avoiding duplication and aligning best practice. Help manage the UX research budget.
- Work closely with the Product and Design teams to ensure research insights are incorporated. Support the Product and Design teams in establishing successful processes and ways of working.
- Develop relationships across the business to collate existing data and insights to inform product strategy and areas of opportunity
- Share research expertise and knowledge with others and encourage the wider team to actively participate in UX Research, to improve organisational capability and challenge team thinking.
Key skills and experience
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- University degree of 2:1 or higher in human-computer interaction (HCI), a related field, or equivalent years of professional experience
- Expert-level knowledge in the field of UX research with at least 5 years’ experience of working as a UX researcher on digital products.
- Considerable knowledge and hands-on experience with a wide range of qualitative and quantitative research methods and techniques (such as usability testing, ethnography, contextual enquiry, creation of user profiles personas, journey mapping, surveys, competitor analysis).
- Strong track record of research results impacting product strategy and development.
- Experience of working in an agile product development environment and applying lean UX research methods.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organisation.
- Ability to collaborate with a wide set of stakeholders including designers, product managers, developers and analysts.
- Experience of using and managing the use of online research tools e.g. unmoderated remote testing, online surveys.
- Using software tools for both lab based and remote user testing e.g. UserTesting.com, Optimal Workshop, Morae, Tobii, InVision. Experience in Usability / UX lab- based testing is desirable.
- Manage relationships with external research agencies